Grilled Caprese Sandwich RecipeLisa Grant | Jersey Girl Cooks
Grilled Caprese Sandwich is a simple meal created with basic ingredients. And full on flavor!
Every year I look forward to summer. There are beach vacations, pool parties, sleeping late in the mornings, plenty of ice cream and fresh produce. I adore summer fruits, fresh corn and picking herbs right out of my garden. But the best part is Jersey tomatoes. There is nothing better than biting into a juice tomato with just a little bit of sea salt.
Every time I think of one, I can almost feel the juice dripping down my chin. Ripe tomatoes are the base of this sandwich that I call dinner numerous nights during the summer. It’s easy to make and the perfect light meal. We're heading into the school year, but luckily, there are still Jersey tomatoes to be found and savored.
As a child, I remember eating tomato and mayonnaise sandwiches on white bread. It was something I could eat for lunch every day. The white bread had to be fresh. It was so fresh that it would stick to the roof of your mouth.
My palate has changed and I no longer eat tomato and mayonnaise sandwiches. But I still love a tomato sandwich, so I make this more sophisticated one. Minus my twelve year old son, this might be my family’s favorite grilled cheese sandwich. A cheese toasty is more up my son’s alley as he loves a basic cheese sandwich.
Pairing this grilled sandwich with some tomato soup is perfect for cooler weather, but in the summer, I make a strawberry spinach salad to go with it and call it dinner. A spinach stone fruit salad is also another good choice.
Make these delicious sandwiches, and you will be taking a bite out of the last days of summer. I rave about my Jersey tomatoes, but I know everyone has their favorites. So go to your local farmers market and get some of your local tomatoes. While you are there, purchase some fresh mozzarella and basil. It doesn’t take much effort to create a good meal!
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Grilled Caprese Sandwich Recipe
- 1-2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 8 slices Italian Bread
- 8 slices Mozzarella Cheese, Fresh, about 12 ounces
- 2 medium Tomatoes, Ripe
- 12 Fresh Basil Leaves, Large
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Glaze
- Heat a very large skillet to medium heat.
- Add olive oil to the pan.
- Put 4 pieces of bread in the pan. Lay mozzarella on all pieces of bread. Cover with a lid to keep the heat in and melt the cheese.
- Once the cheese is melted, lay the sliced tomatoes and fresh basil onto the cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt and drizzle the balsamic glaze on top.
- Cover the sandwiches with the remaining pieces of bread.
- Turn and cook on the other side for a few minutes or until the bread is golden brown.
- Balsamic drizzle can be found at Italian specialty stores or the Italian foods department in your grocery store. You can also make it yourself by cooking down balsamic vinegar to a thick syrup-like consistency.
- Lisa Grant
- Cooking Method:
- Easy Dinners, Sandwiches, Grilled Cheese, Italian, Cheese, Tomatoes, Easy, Grilled
- Related Recipes:
- Easy Dinner Recipes, Sandwich Recipes, Grilled Cheese Recipes, Italian Recipes, Cheese Recipes, Tomato Recipes, Easy Recipes, Grilled Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 4 sandwiches
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Lisa Grant
Recipe Yields: 4 sandwiches
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Amount Per Serving