Graham Crackers RecipeAmanda Powell | A Cookie Named Desire
Making homemade graham crackers are just as easy as making your favorite roll out sugar cookie. These are perfect for making edible ornament, holiday houses, or for the best s’mores of your life!
Graham crackers are a staple in my house. We always have them on-hand for the kids when they want a snack, or when we want to make some s’mores.
Crackers are something we never think about making. It’s something we never even consider as something people can make at home.
Truthfully though, crackers in general are very easy to make. Graham crackers are especially easy to make.
Many people have heard about the start of graham crackers (thanks to such fun shows like Good Eats).
If you haven’t heard the story, Graham crackers were the invention of Reverend Sylvester Graham.
Without getting into too many specifics, the Reverend essentially believed a pure diet devoid of meat and rich in fiber resulted in reduced carnal urges.
Making homemade graham crackers is a very easy process. If you’ve ever made a roll out sugar cookie, the process is nearly identical.
The biggest difference is that we make the graham cracker dough in a food processor just like you would pie crust. We also do not separate the crackers after we’ve cut them into squares.
The dough for homemade graham crackers is a little wet and sticky, so we chill the dough to help.
When it comes time to roll, we sandwich the dough between two sheets of parchment paper. I recommend not adding any more flour to the dough if at all possible.
It affects the final texture of your graham crackers.
I prefer to use graham flour, which you can find in many well-stocked grocery stores, health food stores, and online.
It is relatively inexpensive, too. If you simply cannot get your hands on graham flour, you can substitute the graham flour with whole wheat flour.
If you want to make homemade chocolate graham crackers, replace 3 - 4 tablespoons of the all-purpose flour with cocoa powder.
You can also experiment with adding different spices, herbs, and extracts for a uniquely delicious treat.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Graham Crackers Recipe
- 1 cup Graham Flour
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/3 cup Unsalted Butter, cut in cubes and cold
- 1 large Egg
- 2 tablespoons Molasses
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1-2 tablespoons Milk
- In a food processor, add together both flours, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. Pulse 2 - 3 times to mix.
- Add in the cubed butter and pulse about 5 - 6 times or until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add in the egg, molasses, and honey. Pulse until well-combined.
- Add in the milk and pulse until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Turn out the dough onto plastic wrap. Form into a disc and wrap tightly.
- Chill for about an hour, then divide the dough in half. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Roll out half the dough between two sheets of parchment paper so it forms a large rectangle. Trim the edges so they are straight, then cut rectangles about 2 x 3 inches. Prick the rectangles with a fork a few times.
- Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Take any trimmings and repeat until you’ve used up all the dough.
- Bake the graham crackers for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until the crackers are slightly lighter in color.
- Allow to cool completely on the baking sheets.
- Break apart the graham crackers along where you cut.
- Amanda Powell
- Cooking Method:
- Baking, Baked, Cookies, Crackers, Easy, Snacks, Family Meals and Snacks
- Related Recipes:
- Baking Recipes, Baked Recipes, Cookie Recipes, Cracker Recipes, Easy Recipes, Snack Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 2 dozen graham crackers
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Resting Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Amanda Powell
Recipe Yields: 2 dozen graham crackers
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 110 minutes
Amount Per Serving