Gluten Free Cream of Chicken Soup RecipeBrianna Hobbs | Flippin' Delicious
Gluten Free Cream of Chicken Soup is wonderful for people with a gluten intolerance. It also can be adjusted for any dietary needs.
So many recipes call for canned condensed cream of chicken, celery or mushroom soup. So many! Easy, family favorite casseroles often call for canned condensed cream soup, which is a problem when you have to eat gluten-free or dairy-free, because canned cream condensed soup has both.
Canned cream of condensed soup also has a lot of fillers, preservatives, MSG, and other junk that it is nice to avoid.
There is an easy, healthy substitute for canned cream of condensed soups. Just make your own! It really only takes 5 minutes to make.
All you have to do is melt some butter, whisk in some rice flour, and add some broth and milk. Then just let it thicken and you are ready to use it.
It will thicken up even more as it cools.
You can make any flavor that you want by sautéing chopped mushrooms, celery, or cooked chicken in the butter before adding the rice flour. It takes a few more minutes, maybe 10 in total instead of 5, but if you have the time, the flavor payoff is worth it.
This recipe is so easy, and it adapts to fit any dietary needs. To make it dairy-free, just use olive oil instead of the butter and use a dairy-free milk (almond and cashew are my favorite!).
You can also make a vegetarian substitute for cream of condensed soup by using vegetable broth.
This is such a good recipe to have handy! You'll find places to use it all the time.
A few months ago my sister-in-law called me because she was making dinner for a friend who had a kiddo with a gluten-intolerance and wanted to know what she could substitute for canned cream of chicken soup. I've been thinking about developing this recipe ever since.
It only takes 5 minutes to make your own gluten-free cream of condensed soup, and now you are not limited by condensed soup containing recipes. You can also use this recipe when another recipe calls for a roux and cream sauce, like Christina's King Ranch chicken for two.
What recipe are you going to try your homemade gluten-free cream of condensed soup in first?
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Gluten Free Cream of Chicken Soup Recipe
- 3 tablespoons Butter, Or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Rice Flour
- 3/4 cup Chicken Broth, Or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Milk, Dairy or non-dairy
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Parsley
- Salt and Pepper, To taste
- 1/4 cup Cooked Shredded Chicken, Or chopped
- 1/4 cup Diced Celery
- 1/4 cup Chopped White Mushrooms
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. If using, add the chicken, celery, or mushrooms and sauté until the vegetables are soft, or the chicken is warm. Add the rice flour and whisk until the flour just starts to brown.
- Add the broth and milk while whisking and bring to a boil.
- Boil until thickened.
- Use immediately in any recipe calling for canned condensed soup or store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Brianna Hobbs
- Cooking Method:
- Gluten Free
- Gluten Free, Copycat, Easy, Casseroles, Easy Dinners, Soups, Boiled
- Related Recipes:
- Gluten Free Recipes, Copycat Recipes, Easy Recipes, Casserole Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Soup Recipes, Boiled Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 4 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Brianna Hobbs
Recipe Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Amount Per Serving