Gluten Free Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats RecipeSharon L. | What the Fork Food Blog
Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats made with gluten free! These are just as good, if not better than the original!
What’s better than an original Rice Krispies Treat? One made with chocolate, of course!
You can never, ever go wrong with adding chocolate. In my opinion, that is.
Not only do we use chocolate cereal here, but my recipe is also a little heavier on the marshmallow side than most recipes out there.
I use a whole 10 oz bag and then add an extra cup of mini marshmallows. Because again, you can never go wrong with adding extra marshmallows!
Another key ingredient in this recipe is the salted butter. Salted butter gives these Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats a little something extra.
The little bit of salt is just enough of a flavor enhancer without having to add salt. Salted butter does not make these salty, in case you were wondering.
Since this recipe only uses a handful of ingredients and the butter plays a major part in the flavor, you want to make sure you’re using good butter.
I know that makes me sound like Ina, but it really is true.
My go-to is grass-fed butter but European butter would be great too. Trust me, it makes a difference!
What kind of gluten free cereal can I use?
To keep these Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats gluten free, use a gluten free cereal. Cocoa Pebbles and One Degree Sprouted Brown Rice Cacao Crisps are both great options.
Can I make these in a 9x13 pan?
Yes, you can! You can use the same amount of ingredients listed in the recipe but form them in a 9x13 pan instead of a 9x9.
The only difference will be that the treats will be thinner. Alternately, if you want really thick Rice Krispies Treats, you can make these in an 8x8 pan.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Gluten Free Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- 4 tablespoons Salted Butter
- 6 cups Miniature Marshmallows, divided
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 6 cups Chocolate Gluten Free Crispy Rice Cereal
- Line a 9x9 inch pan with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- In a medium-large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. When the butter is melted, reduce the heat to low and add 5 cups of the mini marshmallows. Stir frequently until the marshmallow are melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and the remaining 1 cup of marshmallows. Stir to melt the marshmallows a bit (chunks of marshmallow are fine) then stir in the chocolate crispy rice cereal.
- When all of the cereal is coated with the marshmallow, transfer to the prepared pan. Let it sit in the pan to cool for a minute or two then use a spatula or your hands to press into the pan. I find that spraying my clean hands with non-stick spray or wetting them with a small amount of water works best.
- Cool completely then cut into 16-20 squares.
- Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Sharon L.
- Gluten Free
- Gluten Free Desserts
- Gluten Free Desserts, Gluten Free, Naturally Gluten Free, Bar Desserts, No Bake Desserts, Desserts, Cereal, Marshmallows, Chocolate, Snacks, Family Meals and Snacks, Lunchbox
- Related Recipes:
- Gluten Free Dessert Recipes, Gluten Free Recipes, Naturally Gluten Free Recipes, Bar Dessert Recipes, No Bake Dessert Recipes, Dessert Recipes, Cereal Recipes, Marshmallow Recipes, Chocolate Recipes, Snack Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes, Lunchbox Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 16 bars
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Sharon L.
Recipe Yields: 16 bars
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Amount Per Serving