We’re sharing our favorite Buckeye Balls recipe - full of delicious peanut butter and chocolate. They're the perfect holiday treat and a great addition to a cookie plate.
Buckeye balls are an absolutely delicious addition to any holiday cookie or confection plate. My family goes crazy for peanut butter and chocolate together, and the combination of flavors is at its finest in these easy-to-make candies.
They're an easy, no-bake treat that's a mainstay during the holiday season and beyond for many families. Plus they're a perfect option for little hands when you're baking with kids!
What Are Buckeye Balls?
Buckeye balls have two essential components: a filling made with peanut butter, sweetened and firmed up with powdered sugar; and an outside coating of chocolate.
Traditionally, the chocolate coating covers most of the peanut butter ball inside, but leaves a small patch uncovered, giving them the look of a nut.
Specifcially, Buckeye Balls were first created in Ohio - the Buckeye State! These impossible-to-resist treats look just like the nuts from the Ohio Buckeye, the Ohio state tree.
Buckeye Ball Ingredients
These decadent, no-bake sweets are made with just six ingredients making them incredibly simple to make. Most of these ingredients are ones you'll generally have right in your pantry.
Because they are made without flour, Buckeye Balls are generally grain free and gluten free, too, making them a great dessert option for people with certain dietary considerations.
- Peanut Butter - For this Buckeye Balls recipe you will need creamy peanut butter. Crunchy peanut butter nor natural peanut butter work well for Buckeye Balls.
- Powdered Sugar - Also known as confectioner's sugar, powdered sugar adds sweetness and firmness to the peanut butter ball center.
- Vanilla Exract - A splash of vanilla extract rounds out the flavor of these simple Buckeye Balls.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate - You can use chips or morsels, but semi-sweet chocolate is the most common when making Buckeye Balls. Dark chocolate would also be delicious!
- Vegetable Shortening - Vegetable shortening or, alternately, refined coconut oil help to create a smooth, glossy chocolate for dipping the peanut butter balls.
How to Make Buckeye Balls
Making buckeyes or buckeye balls is easy! They have very few ingredients and only require a few steps.
Step 1. Cream together softened butter, creamy peanut butter and vanilla extract. A hand mixer works well for this step.
Step 2. Sift and add powdered sugar in thirds. Continue to mix with a hand mixer until well combined. The mixture will look a bit crumbly.
Step 3. Next, roll away! Using a small cookie dough scoop or a melon baller is a great way to scoop Buckeye Balls quickly and get evenly-sized buckeyes. Chill the balls once rolled.
Step 4. Add semi-sweet chocolate and shortening or coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl. Heat until just melted, and stir until completely smooth.
Step 5. Dip the chilled buckeye balls most of the way in the chocolate, and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet or a baking rack to set up.
Can You Freeze Buckeye Balls?
Yes! Buckeyes freeze well. Place them on a rimmed baking sheet so that they aren’t touching, and put them in the freezer until they are frozen solid.
Once they’re completely frozen, you can transfer the buckeyes to an airtight container for long term storage. They last in the freezer for several months, but who are we kidding? They’re so delicious they’ll be long gone by then.
When you are ready to eat them, simply get the number of buckeyes you need out of the freezer, and allow them to come to room temperature before eating.
The chocolate coating might show some tiny water beads as they thaw, but the flavor and overall appearance of the buckeye balls will not be negatively affected by freezing.
More Delicious Buckeye Ball Recipes
Can’t enough of those delicious buckeye flavors of chocolate and peanut butter? Try these other Buckeye Ball recipes:
- Buckeye Bars: All of the delicious chocolate and peanut butter buckeye ball flavors, but in a super-easy-to-make bar form, these Buckeye Bars are hugely popular.
- Buckeye Graham Crackers: Graham crackers topped with that yummy, peanut buttery buckeye filling, dunked in chocolate, and drizzled with even more sweet peanut butter are a unique take on thit classic dessert.
- White Chocolate Buckeye Balls: For the white chocolate lovers, these luxurious Buckeye Balls are dipped in buttery white chocolate instead of semisweet chocolate.
- Buckeye Brownies: Two delicious treats combined into one over-the-top taste sensation, these brownies are worth writing home about.
- Grilled Buckeye Sandwiches: You read that right! Sweet Hawaiian bread is topped with peanut butter buckeye filling and smooth chocolate then grilled to perfection.
While not strictly only for the holiday season, Buckeye Balls do make a delightful and festive addition to a cookie plate with other Christmas cookie recipes.
They're also lovely served alongside coffee or spiked hot chocolate.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!