How to Make Rice KrispiesCyd Converse
Wondering if it's possible to make your own Rice Krispies? Or how to create delicious Rice Krispie Treats? Find out here!
This article answer two questions - how to make Rice Krispie treats and whether or not it's possible to make your own Rice Krispies!
First we'll look at the second question.
Can you make your own puffed rice?
In short, the answer is not really!
Unfortunately, there's quite a lot of work that goes into producing the humble Rice Krispie, using equipment you probably won't have at home!
Whilst there are quite a few websites claiming to have discovered a method for producing homemade Rice Krispies, if you take a look at the comments you'll see that these methods just don't work!
That's because Rice Krispies are not simply puffed up grains of rice.
Instead, rice is ground into a paste and a whole lot of other ingredients are added. The mixture is then formed into something that looks like 'grains', which are then cooked, dried and 'toasted'.
How to make Rice Krispie Treats
Now this is a LOT easier to accomplish!
Homemade Rice Krispie Treats are not only easy to make, they taste wonderful and everyone loves them! Ideal for kids' parties, bake sales and more, they are our 'go to' sweet treats - and here's how to make them!
Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients
Rice Krispie Treats require just a few simple ingredients! They're a classic treat, and also very budget-friendly if you're making them for a crowd or for a classroom full of kids.
- Rice Krispies
- Vanilla extract (optional)
Perfect Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 16 ounces Miniature Marshmallows, Divided
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- Line a 9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add in all but 1 cup of the marshmallows. Reduce heat to low and continue stirring until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Add the cereal and the remaining 1 cup of marshmallows.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Press GENTLY with your fingertips just until completely spread out (the harder you pack them in, the harder they are to eat).
- Allow to set, about 1 hour. Cut and enjoy!
How to Store Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispie treats are best on the day you make them, but it is possible to freeze them for up to 6 weeks. If choosing to do so, be sure to separate them with wax paper or they will stick together.
There are lots of modifications you can make to the basic recipe to produce unique treats, just the way you and your family like them!
Here are some ideas:
- Swap half the butter for the equivalent amount of coconut oil
- Cover the surface in brightly colored sprinkles before the mixture sets
- Add chocolate chips or dried fruit before putting the mixture into the prepared pan
- Try these decadent Nutella Rice Krispie Treats
- Swap the Rice Krispies for another kind of breakfast cereal. Cornflakes work well too!
- Make gluten-free Rice Krispie Treats
- Top the mixture with chopped nuts before it sets
- Make Christmas Tree Treats
- Make Rice Krispie treats with peanut butter and potato chips. Trust us - they're delicious!
Cyd is a native of Upstate New York, born to a family of women who love to cook and host parties. She shares her love of all things food, home and entertaining on her blog, The Sweetest Occasion and on Instagram.Tags: Easy Desserts, No Bake Desserts, Desserts