Wondering if it's possible to make your own Rice Krispies? Or how to create delicious Rice Krispie Treats? Find out here!
This article answer two questions - how to make Rice Krispie treats and whether or not it's possible to make your own Rice Krispies!
First we'll look at the second question.
Can you make your own puffed rice?
In short, the answer is not really!
Unfortunately, there's quite a lot of work that goes into producing the humble Rice Krispie, using equipment you probably won't have at home!
Whilst there are quite a few websites claiming to have discovered a method for producing homemade Rice Krispies, if you take a look at the comments you'll see that these methods just don't work!
That's because Rice Krispies are not simply puffed up grains of rice.
Instead, rice is ground into a paste and a whole lot of other ingredients are added. The mixture is then formed into something that looks like 'grains', which are then cooked, dried and 'toasted'.
How to make Rice Krispie Treats
Now this is a LOT easier to accomplish!
Homemade Rice Krispie Treats are not only easy to make, they taste wonderful and everyone loves them! Ideal for kids' parties, bake sales and more, they are our 'go to' sweet treats - and here's how to make them!
3 tablespoons butter
around 40 jet-puffed marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies
- Prepare a 13 x 9 x 2 cooking pan by spraying it with cooking spray.
- Put the butter into a large saucepan and melt it gently over a low heat.
- Add the marshmallows to the butter and stir continuously until they have melted completely.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Immediately transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and press it down with a greased spatula or wax paper.
- Allow to cool, then cut the mixture into squares.
Rice Krispie treats are best on the day you make them, but it is possible to freeze them too, for up to 6 weeks. Just be sure to separate them with wax paper or they will stick together.
There are lots of modifications you can make to the basic recipe to produce unique treats, just the way you and your family like them!
Here are some ideas:
- Swap half the butter for the equivalent amount of coconut oil
- Cover the surface in brightly colored sprinkles before the mixture sets
- Add chocolate chips or dried fruit before putting the mixture into the prepared pan
- Swap the Rice Krispies for another kind of breakfast cereal. Cornflakes work well too!
- Make gluten-free Rice Krispie Treats
- Top the mixture with chopped nuts before it sets
- Make Christmas Tree Treats
- Make Rice Krispie treats with peanut butter and potato chips. Trust us - they're delicious!