Gluten Free Banana Bread French Toast RecipeSharon L. | What the Fork Food Blog
Step up your banana bread game with this easy Gluten Free Banana Bread French Toast! It's kid-friendly, freezer-friendly, and can be made dairy free with one simple swap!
There’s never, ever a shortage of over-ripe bananas in my house. Which also means there’s never a shortage of gluten free banana bread or gluten free banana nut muffins.
So sometimes when I want to class our breakfast up a bit, I turn an ordinary (yet super delicious) loaf of banana bread into this stellar Gluten Free Banana Bread French Toast. Holy happy taste buds Batman!
My family absolutely LOVES this recipe. I mean, sweet banana bread, walnuts, fresh bananas, and a French toast batter made with almond extract? You CAN’T GO WRONG here people!
All you need is a side of bacon or sausage and you’ve got yourself an amazing weekend breakfast. Or weeknight dinner.
We’re BIG fans of breakfast for dinner once a week. I went into detail about that when I wrote the post for my gluten free pancakes recipe.
Basically, it’s a meal that keeps the kids happy and when the kids are happy, mom is happy. AKA ME.
But about this Gluten Free Banana Bread French Toast, it’s so good it’s holiday-brunch worthy. Easter brunch would be looking pretty good with this on the table!
You can even make it ahead and freeze it then just reheat it by defrosting it and warming it in the oven before serving.
This Gluten Free Banana Bread French Toast can also be made dairy free. The banana bread recipe has a dairy free option and I've included a dairy free option for the French toast liquid here as well.
I prefer using unsweetened coconut milk in recipes. You could use unsweetened almond milk but I find that it gives a bit nuttier taste. That would work nice in this recipe, you just might want to use a little less almond extract if you do end up using almond milk.
You guys will love this Banana Bread French Toast recipe. I wouldn't be surprised if you start hoarding bananas like I do so you always have an abundant supply of overripe bananas. Enjoy!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Gluten Free Banana Bread French Toast Recipe
- 1 loaf Gluten Free Banana Bread, baked and cooled
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Pure Almond Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 cup Milk, regular or unsweetened coconut
- Chopped Walnuts, for serving
- Banana Slices, for serving
- Pure Maple Syrup, for serving
- Slice the banana bread into 10-12 slices and set aside. Preheat griddle to medium-low heat. (see notes)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Once the cinnamon is incorporated into the eggs, whisk in the milk. Submerge a piece of banana bread in the egg mixture, coating all sides.
- Place the bread on your hot griddle and cook until each side is nicely browned and hot, about 3 minutes per side but will depend on your griddle. Repeat for each piece of bread, cooking in batches as necessary.
- Serve hot/warm with pure maple syrup and garnish with chopped walnuts and slices of banana.
- I use a large double electric griddle with a non-stick copper surface so I don’t add butter before cooking the French toast. You can certainly cook the French toast in melted butter if you prefer. Definitely generously grease your pan if your pan/griddle if it does not have a non-stick surface.
- My griddle cooks 8 pieces at a time, keep cooked French toast warm if you’re cooking in batches.
- Sharon L.
- Cooking Method:
- Gluten Free
- Gluten Free, Baked, Baking, Breakfasts, Brunches, Family Meals and Snacks, Bananas, Cinnamon, French Toast, Easter
- Related Recipes:
- Gluten Free Recipes, Baked Recipes, Baking Recipes, Breakfast Recipes, Brunch Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes, Banana Recipes, Cinnamon Recipes, French Toast Recipes, Easter Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 6 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Sharon L.
Recipe Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Amount Per Serving