Easy Sweet and Sour Meatballs RecipeChristina Lane | Dessert for Two
Easy Sweet and Sour Meatballs make a perfect appetizer or dinner. So addictive, you'll make them again and again!
Sweet and sour meatballs are one of my favorite party appetizers to serve at parties. It doesn’t matter how many I make, they always disappear in minutes. Guests gobble them up as soon as the tray leaves my kitchen. If I want to eat one, my best chance is to sneak one before the appetizer tray goes out.
At best, I’ve had one little meatball each time I make these, even if I’ve made several dozen! So, I decided to make a dinner for two with sweet and sour meatballs as the star ingredient. This way, I only have to share with one other person, and I’m guaranteed to get to eat more than one.
I gave the classic sweet and sour sauce little make over here. It’s made of just three ingredients, and couldn’t be simpler to whisk together while the meatballs cook. Instead of granulated sugar or jelly from a jar, I used honey. It has the right amount of sweetness to make a sweet sauce that isn’t too sweet or cloying. Stir the honey together with the ketchup and vinegar, and that’s the sauce—easy!
I used lean ground beef for the meatballs, but you could certainly substitute ground turkey or even ground chicken. Either way, we’re going to drain the pan of the fat after searing the meatballs, so you can really use the type of meat you prefer.
I serve this with steamed broccoli because I like to dip the broccoli in the extra sweet and sour sauce. Another great thing to serve it with is hot rice.
I think you’ll love this ‘party for two’ recipe. For more ground beef recipes, check out my homemade Salisbury steak or my mushroom and Swiss patty melts.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Easy Sweet and Sour Meatballs Recipe
IngredientsFor the Meatballs:
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 large Egg
- 2 tablespoons Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1/3 cup Ketchup
- 1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- In a bowl, combine the beef, egg, panko bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Mix very well. Lightly score the mixture into fourths in the bowl, and make a mental note to get 5 meatballs from each quarter. Begin rolling out 20 meatballs.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Drop the meatballs in and do not touch them until the first side turns a deep brown. If you move the meatballs in the pan, they will lose their shape. Cook in several batches if all 20 won’t fit in the pan at once.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the ketchup, vinegar, honey, garlic powder and salt. Set aside.
- When the meatballs are nicely browned on all side, remove them from the skillet. Drain the excess drippings. Gently return the meatballs to the pan and add the ketchup mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Christina Lane
- Cooking Method:
- Cooking for Couples, Dinners, Easy, Meatballs, Appetizers, Ground Beef, Sauteed, Simmered
- Related Recipes:
- Cooking for Couples Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Easy Recipes, Meatball Recipes, Appetizer Recipes, Ground Beef Recipes, Sauteed Recipes, Simmered Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 2 Servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Christina Lane
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Amount Per Serving