Crockpot Salisbury SteakAmber Bracegirdle | Bluebonnet Baker
Mouthwatering Crockpot Salisbury Steak is a great way to enjoy ground beef - and this recipe requires very little hands-on cooking time.
Do you often find yourself stuck for ideas when it comes to different ways to prepare ground beef?
It can be hard thinking of ways to make your ground beef dishes taste new and exciting - but here's an idea you may not yet have tried!
This Crockpot Salisbury Steak recipe is easy, needs very little preparation time and is sure to become a family favorite.
A short history of Salisbury Steak!
Its name is deceiving, because Salisbury Steak isn’t technically steak. In fact, it is better defined as a fancy hamburger!
This fancy hamburger dish, which is traditionally complemented with creamy mashed potatoes and gravy, was named after James Henry Salisbury (1823-1905). James was a US doctor famous for his commentary on diet and nutrition.
He believed that American troops during the Civil War were being given the wrong foods and that what they really needed was protein - beef in particular. He went on to test his ideas by providing chopped beef to the men, which he thought would be easier for them to digest than other sources of protein. He even wrote a book explaining his theories, which is believed to be one of the first publications linking good diet with good health and promoting the consumption of animal protein.
Salisbury Steak today
Now a classic comfort food, Salisbury Steak is usually servced with mashed potatoes and gravy.
While boxed mashed potatoes take just minutes to whip up, nothing beat homemade mashed potatoes, which actually take less time than you’d think.
Simply boil potatoes of your choice (we love red potatoes, but keep their skins on!) and mash thoroughly with butter, milk, salt and pepper. Throw in some chopped garlic and scallions for added flavor.
You can also add a dollop of ranch or a similar creamy dressing to heighten their flavor.
Crockpot Salisbury Steak
- 2 pounds Lean Ground Beef
- 1 package Onion Soup
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Cold Milk
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 cans Cream Of Chicken Soup, (condensed)
- 1 serving Au Jus Gravy Mix, (1 oz packet)
- 3/4 cup Water
- With your hands, combine ground beef, onion soup mix, bread crumbs and milk in a large bowl. Shape 8 patty shapes.
- Dredge the patties in flour on both sides to coat lightly.
- In a large skillet, heat oil; once heated, brown the patties on both sides.
- Place the patties into a crockpot; if yours is a smaller one, stack them in a pyramid shape.
- In a bowl, mix the cream of chicken soup, au jus mix and water. Pour over the patties and cook on low for 4-5 hours, until the patties are well done.
- Amber Bracegirdle
- Cooking Method:
- Slow Cooker
- Ground Beef, Easy Dinners, Slow Cooked, Slow Cooker, Crock Pot
- Related Recipes:
- Ground Beef Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Slow Cooked Recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, Crock Pot Recipes, Exclusive Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 8 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Amber Bracegirdle
Recipe Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 300 minutes
Total Time: 315 minutes
Amount Per Serving