This festive cranberry gimlet lends seasonal sweetness to the classic cocktail. It's a perfect addition to your next holiday party!
I remember the first time I tried gin; I was not a fan. It smelled faintly of pine trees and the taste wasn’t too far off either.
Fast-forward a few years and I decided to give gin another try. I loved how drinking gin was portrayed on tv – sophisticated and fancy.
I was determined to become fancy with my cocktail drinking.
So I splurged for some good gin and tonic and mixed myself up a cocktail. Not as horrible as the first time, but I was still not completely sold.
I kept ordering them anytime I went out to dinner and slowly I started to love gin. I started to enjoy the juniper taste and loved the slight fizz of the tonic.
While I’m still a loyal gin and tonic drinker I also like to play around with cocktails so I don’t get bored. For this drink I went a little tart with my mixing.
I have always paired my cranberry with vodka but not this time. I took the classic gimlet and gave it the cranberry twist.
This cocktail is slightly sweet and can be changed just based on what cranberry juice you use.
What is a Gimlet?
A gimlet is a classic gin cocktail made with gin and lime juice. It is tart and that tartness plays so well with the juniper notes of a good quality gin.
It's a very simple cocktail, slightly sweetened, generally with a bit of simple syrup. The gimlet is a refreshing cocktail that makes for very easy sipping.
Cranberry Gimlet Ingredients
- Gin - Of course, gin is a must for a gimlet. Use a really great gin and it will make all the difference in this gin cocktail.
- Cranberry juice - I prefer to mix this drink with unsweetened cranberry juice. If you use cranberry cocktail it will give it a slight cranberry taste but will be much sweeter. If you use pure 100% cranberry juice be prepared for a much tarter cocktail. I personally prefer the 100% cranberry juice, but I’m used to its taste so I dig that tart pucker.
- Lime juice - Use freshly squeezed lime juice if you can, or a high quality pre-squeezed lime juice will also work in a pinch.
- Simple syrup - I like to make homemade simple syrup, which is very easy to make. You can also generally find simple syrup in the cocktail mixer section of your grocery store.
- Fresh cranberries - Nothing looks more like the holidays than a garnish of fresh cranberries. While not strictly necessary, they add such a fun pop to the look of this cranberry cocktail recipe.
How to Make a Cranberry Gimlet
Step 1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and then use a jigger or a shot glass to measure and pour the gin over top of the ice.
Step 2. Add the cranberry juice to your cocktail shaker. Again, you can use a sweetened cranberry juice, but I suggest at least trying it with the unsweetened juice, but either way results in a delicious drink!
Step 3. Add the lime juice and simple syrup. You can always add more simple syrup if you prefer a sweeter drink, but add just a little bit at a time until you reach your desired level of sweetness.
Step 4. Shake until well chilled and pour into a coupe or martini glass. Garnish with fresh cranberries. Alternately, you can freeze the cranberries in advance for a fun, holiday twist.
You know my favorite part about a cranberry garnish? Once they stop floating you know it’s a time for a refill!
If you're digging the cranberry, definitely take time to check out my boozy holiday punch too. It's guaranteed to make any holiday party a success!
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!