Chicken Tinga Tacos RecipeMeghan Yager | Cake 'n Knife
Chicken Tinga Tacos are spicy, flavorful, and full of spark. The hearty chicken tinga is made in the Instant Pot, making it the ideal dinner for any weeknight. These will become your new favorite tacos!
In our home, Taco Tuesday isn’t a thing. That’s because ANY night is a good night for tacos. Obviously.
How can anyone not love tacos?
They can be made out of almost anything you can think of from chicken, pork, beef, fish, and vegetables. I absolutely love the variety and that’s why tacos are one of my favorite foods.
I mean, you all have seen my obsession over the years. From the classic slow cooker tacos al pastor to the unique grilled bacon-wrapped shrimp tacos,
I will turn anything into a taco if I am given the opportunity.
If you don’t know what chicken tinga is, it’s a hearty blend of chicken with a tomato and chipotle sauce. It’s quick enough to make, and with the help of the Instant Pot, even quicker than usual.
You will end up craving this meal time and time again, trust me.
The combination of juicy chicken, smoky chipotle, creamy avocado, and a tang of lime literally jump off the plate. It’s just a symphony in every single bite.
A taco symphony that you will never want to stop listening to all year round.
The best part it, this all comes together in one pot and it comes together FAST. If you have 30 minutes, you have enough time to whip up this entire meal and get it in the table.
Just know that the avocado is a MUST for these tacos because you need the creamy texture and the rich flavor to counter the spiciness of the chicken.
I like to slice my avocado, but you can also mash it up or even use leftover guacamole if you have some on hand.
The truth is, you should never skimp on the toppings, whether it’s avocado, red onion, cilantro, or queso fresco.
I always like to leave out all the toppings for everyone so they can build their own tacos with the toppings they love.
The only question will be, when can you make this insanely tasty recipe again?
The answer is TOMORROW.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Chicken Tinga Tacos Recipe
IngredientsFor the Chicken Tinga:
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium Yellow Onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Chipotle Pepper in Adobos, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Adobo Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 14.5 ounce can Diced Fire-Roasted Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 10 Corn Tortillas, (6-inch)
- 2 Ripe Avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup Chopped Red Onion
- 1/4 cup Fresh Pomegranate Seeds
- Crumbled Queso Fresco
- Lime Wedges
- Hot Sauce
- Set Instant Pot to Saute. Add oil and once the oil is hot, add onion. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in chipotles, oregano, and cumin. Cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Nestle chicken thighs into the mixture.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot. Set to Manual Pressure on High to cook for 20 minutes.
- Once finished, quick release the pressure. Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred using two forks.
- Using a stick blender, blend the sauce in the Instant Pot until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can blend the sauce in batches in a blender.
- Return chicken to the sauce and stir together until combined.
- To assemble tacos, add chicken tinga to each tortilla, dividing evenly among them. Top with slices of avocado. Sprinkle with cilantro, red onion, pomegranate seeds, and queso fresco.
- Serve immediately with hot sauce and lime wedges.
- Meghan Yager
- Cooking Method:
- Instant Pot
- Tex Mex
- Avocados, Tacos, Easy Dinners, Chicken, Tex Mex, Mexican, Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker, Pressure Cooking
- Related Recipes:
- Avocado Recipes, Taco Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Tex Mex Recipes, Mexican Recipes, Instant Pot Recipes, Pressure Cooker Recipes, Pressure Cooking Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 4 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Meghan Yager
Recipe Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Amount Per Serving