Chicken Biscuits with Mushroom Gravy RecipeHeather Tullos | Sugar Dish Me
Chicken Biscuits with Mushroom Gravy is perfect for a chilly morning or evening. A meal of total comfort!
Fluffy biscuits, fried chicken, and delicious mushroom gravy, all ready, in about 30 minutes! These chicken biscuits with mushroom gravy are the best in cozy comfort foods, perfect for breakfast or even dinner!
This blogging gig can be weird sometimes, you guys. Friends are scattered to the ends of the earth. You can’t stop on the way home to grab a drink with your coworker, but you can sort of have a virtual cheers over Instagram.
Facebook messenger replaces office chatter -- it’s like a never ending trip to the watercooler. We stand on tables like it’s normal, carry tweezers that are meant for gently nudging spaghetti noodles into place and NOT for managing stray eyebrow hairs, we hoard cloth napkins and paper straws.
One of the strangest things about this job by far though, is that I have only gotten to share an actual meal with and hug my best blogging friend ONE TIME in real life. ONE TIME!!! That’s crazytown, right?
AND!! She wrote a book! A whole book about sandwiches! And I still didn’t get to hug her then! So here I am, giving her a virtual hug by sharing one of her fabulous recipes from her book with you.
Chicken biscuits with mushroom gravy. I mean… that is like the ultimate in delicious sandwiches, right?! Is it breakfast? Is it dinner? Who cares. Let’s eat.
Tanya’s recipe is quick and so we get to shortcut with refrigerated biscuits! If you’d like to try your hand at homemade though, I highly recommend these Greek yogurt and cheddar biscuits. Or try this homemade biscuits recipe. It’s a classic!
Her fried chicken recipe is ON POINT, but I double dipped the chicken because that’s how we do in the south. Into the buttermilk, dredged in flour, back into the buttermilk, and then flour a second time. Trust me on this.
That’s actually the only thing I changed though, which is odd for me since I mostly never leave well enough alone. It’s a pretty good indicator in fact, that Sandwiched is WAY BETTER than well enough!
I’ve made several things out of my friend’s book, but these chicken biscuits are so far my favorite. Tanya tells me HER favorite is actually a dessert sandwich, peanut butter chocolate sandwich cookies! That sounds like a recipe I can get behind.
Grab your own copy of Sandwiched immediately. You won’t be disappointed!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Chicken Biscuits with Mushroom Gravy Recipe
- 1 can Buttermilk Biscuits, 16.3 ounces
- Oil, For frying
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Hot Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Cutlet, Or tenders, very thinly sliced
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Sage
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 8 ounces Chopped Mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper, Optional
- 1 cup Milk
- Prepare the biscuits according to package instructions.
- In a deep skillet, add an inch of oil. Heat it over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and hot sauce. Add the chicken.
- While you let the chicken soak for a minute, whisk together the flour, paprika, oregano, sage, and salt in a large bowl.
- Dredge one piece of the chicken in the flour mixture, then dip it back in the buttermilk, then dredge it in the flour again and shake off the excess.
- Carefully add it to the hot oil. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- It’s easiest to work in batches with the frying. You’ll do about 3 mins per side, or until the breading is nice and golden. Remove the cooked chicken to a paper towel lined plate.
- To make the gravy, melt the 3 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet.
- Add the mushrooms and cook over medium to medium high heat until they are soft and start to brown -- 3 - 4 mins.
- Whisk in the flour and then slowly stir in the milk.
- Cook for another couple of minutes to let the gravy thicken, Stir in the salt and peppers.
- Heather Tullos
- Cooking Method:
- Breakfasts, Brunches, Biscuits, Gravy, Sauces, Chicken, Mushrooms, Baked, Fried
- Related Recipes:
- Breakfast Recipes, Brunch Recipes, Biscuit Recipes, Gravy Recipes, Sauce Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Mushroom Recipes, Baked Recipes, Fried Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 8 sandwiches
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Heather Tullos
Recipe Yields: 8 sandwiches
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Amount Per Serving