Black Forest Coffee Cake RecipeHeather Tullos | Sugar Dish Me
Black Forest Coffee Cake brings cherries and chocolate to your day. Great with coffee or tea.
Coffee. Is my favorite. I am such a coffee lover and by the time the rest of my family decides to roll out of bed I am usually 2 cups in. The morning person in me really loves padding through the mostly dark house in the small hours of the morning, fingers curled around my favorite mug, as I move through my morning tasks.
I have a huge pecan tree in my backyard that hangs over the deck, and under it is usually where you can find me and my trusty cup of joe around 6 a.m., while my dogs run through the grass and make futile attempts at catching birds.
On happy days I have a little coffee break in the afternoon, and I love a breakfast-y snack on those breaks. Sometimes it’s granola (like this apple cinnamon gluten free granola), or a handful of olive oil roasted almonds. But there are some days - you know those days - that I am so thrilled to have a little bit of leftover breakfast cake hanging around. Cake for breakfast is where it’s at.
Coffee cakes are the best excuse to have cake for breakfast, and since this recipe makes so much, you are sure to have a piece hanging around for your afternoon pick-me-up.
This is a rich, buttery recipe with cherry pie filling and dark chocolate in every bite. The crumb is really tender and has a pretty pink tint from the cherries. Black Forest coffee cake is really perfect for brunches or a potluck because it’s big enough to serve a crowd. Sure to be a hit at any holiday table!
It doesn't need a thing on it - other than that magnificent streusel topping, of course. DO NOT skip that! Turbinado sugar makes it something truly special, adding extra crunch to every nibble. You'll want a nice strong coffee to go with this cake too - something to stand up to its sweetness and enhance your afternoon snack. Turn that snack into a moment to savor - the beautiful Fall day, the crisp, clear weather, or just the beautiful coffee in your cup.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Black Forest Coffee Cake Recipe
IngredientsFor the Cake:
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 1 3/4 cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 21 ounces Cherry Pie Filling
- 4 ounces Semisweet Chocolate, Coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup Butter, Cold
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Turbinado Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter a 9 X 13 baking dish.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Mix in the eggs and vanilla until the batter is fluffy.
- In another bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Alternate adding the dry mixture and the milk, starting and ending with the flour, and mixing between each addition. Fold in the cherry pie filling and chopped chocolate, and then pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- To make the streusel topping cut the cold butter into the flour and turbinado sugar. My favorite way to do this is to grate the butter with a box grater and then combine everything with my fingers.
- Sprinkle the streusel over the cake batter. It will be clumpy. Just try to cover the surface area as evenly as you can and don’t worry about all the gaps.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes - a pick inserted into the center will come out mostly clean when the cake is done (the buttery streusel will still look a little gooey on your toothpick).
- Let the cake cool before slicing.
- Heather Tullos
- Cake portion of this recipe was adapted from Taste of Home’s Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake recipe.
- Cooking Method:
- Breakfasts, Brunches, Baking, Baked, Cakes, Snacks, Desserts, Cherries, Chocolate
- Related Recipes:
- Breakfast Recipes, Brunch Recipes, Baking Recipes, Baked Recipes, Cake Recipes, Snack Recipes, Dessert Recipes, Cherry Recipes, Chocolate Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 24 slices
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Heather Tullos
Source: Cake portion of this recipe was adapted from Taste of Home’s Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake recipe.
Recipe Yields: 24 slices
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Amount Per Serving