Try these vegetarian sweet potato recipes and learn which seasonings and other ingredients pair well with sweet potatoes for delicious results.
Sweet potatoes are one of our favorite veggies. They are highly nutritious, packed full of fiber, vitamins and minerals that promote gut health.
They taste great in both savory and sweet dishes and you can use them to make a variety of exciting vegetarian sweet potato recipes.
Sweet potatoes - especially purple sweet potatoes - are also bursting with antioxidants.
The beta carotene found in sweet potatoes which gives them their vibrant color also can help with your vision.
One of the best things about sweet potatoes is how versatile they are!
Popular ways to prepare them include:
- Baked or fried sweet potato chips
- Baked or fried sweet potato fries
- Mashed sweet potato
- Baked sweet potato
- Sweet potato hash
When you are thinking about flavor options that pair well with sweet potato, consider the following:
- Seasonings and spices: chilli pepper, cinnamon, cumin, cilantro, coconut, garlic, ginger, rosemary, thyme, allspice, salt, pepper, nutmeg and clove
- Fruit & veggies: onions, carrots, potato (or any other root vegetables), lime, oranges, pineapples and apples
- Other: walnuts, pecans, butter, cream, rum, brown sugar, maple syrup and honey
Now, let’s take a look at a couple of our favorite vegetarian sweet potato recipes:
- 5 cups Mashed Sweet Potato
- 1/4-1/2 cup Coconut Milk, The stuff from the carton
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 tablespoons Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Kosher Salt, To taste
- 2 tablespoons Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Sugar
- 1/2 cup Granola
- 1/2 cup Miniature Marshmallows
Preheat oven to 350°F and set out a 8x8 casserole dish.
In a medium sized mixing bowl add mashed sweet potatoes, 1/4 cup coconut milk, butter, vanilla bean paste, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice. If the mixture is not smooth add a little more coconut milk until desired consistency is met. Also taste the mixture and add kosher salt if desired.
Spoon mixture into the 8x8 casserole dish and top with 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar, granola, marshmallows and remaining 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar.
Add to the preheated oven and bake for 20-30 minutes until the mixture is warmed throughout and the marshmallows are toasted.
- 1 pound Sweet Potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Avocado Oil
- 2 teaspoons Ghee, melted (or vegan butter)
- 2 teaspoons Tahini Paste
- 1 teaspoon Pure Maple Syrup, plus additional for drizzeling
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoons Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- Fresh Cilantro, for garnish
Pre-heat your oven to 500°F.
In a medium bowl, toss together the potatoes with the oils. Spread onto a large rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 10 minutes. Then, turn the oven down to 400°F.
While the potatoes bake, whisk together all the remaining ingredients.
Transfer the potatoes back to bowl and toss with the ghee mixture until evenly coated.
Line the baking pan with parchment paper and then spread the potatoes over it, leaving space between them.
Bake for 6 minutes, stir and then cook another 6-10 minutes until golden brown and soft.
Drizzle with additional maple syrup and cilantro
More recipes to try...
Sweet Potato Coconut Curry
Sweet Potato Gratin
Sweet Potato Hand Pies
Cyd is a native of Upstate New York, born to a family of women who love to cook and host parties. She shares her love of all things food, home and entertaining on her blog, The Sweetest Occasion and on Instagram.