Try these vegetarian sweet potato recipes and learn which seasonings and other ingredients pair well with sweet potatoes for delicious results.
Sweet potatoes are one of our favorite veggies. They are highly nutritious, packed full of fiber, vitamins and minerals that promote gut health.
They taste great in both savory and sweet dishes and you can use them to make a variety of exciting vegetarian sweet potato recipes.
Sweet potatoes - especially purple sweet potatoes - are also bursting with antioxidants. The beta carotene found in sweet potatoes which gives them their vibrant color also can help with your vision.
One of the best things about sweet potatoes is how versatile they are!
Popular ways to prepare them include:
- Baked or fried sweet potato chips
- Baked or fried sweet potato fries
- Mashed sweet potato
- Sweet potato hash
When you are thinking about flavor options that pair well with sweet potato, consider the following:
- Seasonings and spices: chilli pepper, cinnamon, cumin, cilantro, coconut, garlic, ginger, rosemary, thyme, allspice, salt, pepper, nutmeg and clove
- Fruit & veggies: onions, carrots, potato (or any other root vegetables), lime, oranges, pineapples and apples
- Other: walnuts, pecans, butter, cream, rum, brown sugar, maple syrup and honey
Now, let’s take a look at a couple of our favorite vegetarian sweet potato recipes:
Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole (serves 8):
3 pounds sweet potatoes
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup pecan pieces
2 tsp rosemary, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet and grease a 9-inch dish.
2. Use a fork to prick the potatoes several times and bake them for about 45 minutes or until you are able to gently squeeze them. Set aside to cool and reduce the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Halve the cooled sweet potatoes and scoop the flesh into a large bowl and throw away the skins. Add the remainder of the filling ingredients and mash until creamy. Transfer to the greased dish and spread into an even layer.
4. To make the topping, combine the topping ingredients in a bowl and spoon spoonfuls all over the sweet potato layer.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes until the pecans and golden. Any leftovers (unlikely!) can be stored in the fridge for 4-5 days when covered.
Perfectly Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes (serves 4):
2lbs sweet potatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp chilli powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line with parchment. Scrub the potatoes, pat dry and peel them. Cut into 1-inch rounds and then dice each round.
2. Place the cubed potato into a large bowl and add the seasoning and olive oil. Shake well and transfer to the lined sheet in a single layer.
3. Bake for 30-40 minutes, tossing halfway through. Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge for 4 days when covered.