Ham and Cheese Soup RecipeRebekah Garcia Kalinowski | Kitchen Gidget
This recipe is pure comfort food! If you love a hot bowl of soup on a cold day this ham and cheese soup is for you!
If you have holiday ham leftovers this recipe is the perfect way to use them up!
Other fabulous recipes to use up leftover ham:
Cheesy Ham Dinner – this one is chock full of veggies and smothered in cheese sauce. Promise it’s not too unhealthy.
Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole – substitute leftover ham for the smoked sausage.
I honestly can’t decide which one I like best!
Double bonus: this soup is a great way to get rid of leftover mashed potatoes as well!
Keep reading for instructions, tips and other substitutions.
This soup starts with a base of sautéed onions. If you want to add chopped celery, it’s a great way to increase the serving of vegetables.
Sprinkle the softened onion with flour. This will help thicken the soup.
If you’d rather have a thinner soup, or gluten free, this step can be eliminated.
Next add the chicken stock but whisk it in slowly to prevent lumps from forming.
Then you can add the milk. Evaporated milk will work in this case as well!
Bring to a boil and stir until thickened.
Add the carrots and potatoes. I peeled my potatoes, but you can leave the skin on if you dig it that way.
Or, you can use mashed potatoes!
Broccoli is a great addition as well, by the way.
Let it all simmer until the potatoes are softened, then add the ham and cheese (frozen peas are another great addition!).
I used cheddar cheese, but Swiss or gouda would be yummy as well.
You can also use a white cheddar if you don’t want the soup to be yellow.
Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
I found that the ham and cheese release quite a bit of salt, so definitely wait until the end to season it.
Serve with crackers, if desired, or a crusty loaf of bread.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Ham and Cheese Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Onion, chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 3 cups Milk
- 1 cup Shredded Carrots
- 3 cups Potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups Ham, cooked and cubed
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese, (8 ounces)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Green Onions, optional
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until softened but not browned.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring well.
- Slowly add the stock, stirring well to prevent lumps, then stir in the milk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until thickened. Add the carrots and potatoes.
- Simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Test potatoes for tenderness, then stir in ham and cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with green onions, if desired, and serve.
- Want to make this gluten free? Sauté the onion in just 1 tablespoon of oil. Leave out the flour. Proceed with recipe as usual. Before adding ham and cheese, mash some of the potatoes to thicken the soup.
- Rebekah Garcia Kalinowski
- Cooking Method:
- Cheese, Soups, Ham, Easy, Simmered, Carrots, Onions, Potatoes
- Related Recipes:
- Cheese Recipes, Soup Recipes, Ham Recipes, Easy Recipes, Simmered Recipes, Carrot Recipes, Onion Recipes, Potato Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 8-10 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Rebekah Garcia Kalinowski
Recipe Yields: 8-10 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Amount Per Serving