Four different ways to cook crab, for perfect results every time!
If you've ever felt intimidated at the thought of cooking crab, then you'll be pleased to hear that it's a LOT easier to do than you might think.
In this article we'll show you the simple steps to boiling, steaming, grilling or roasting crab.
This means that you don't have to wait for a trip to a restaurant to enjoy a luxury meal! Instead, you can easily cook crab at home for a date night meal, or when hosting a dinner party.
Note: If you still feel too intimidated to attempt cooking fresh crab, it's possible to buy crab that has been pre-cooked. But without a doubt, the BEST crab is one that you’ve cooked yourself!
Why not try one of these simple methods...
How to Boil Crabs:
This is the most popular cooking method for crabs, which is no surprise as it is super simple!
1. Simply bring a large pot of water to the boil and heavily salt the water. To flavor the crab, many people use seasonings like Old Bay seasoning mix, which is perfect for seafood. Some people even recommend adding dry white wine or beer to the water to help flavor the crab meat.
2. Once the water has come to a boil, add the crab and allow the water to return to the boil. Cook the crabs until they begin to float - this generally takes about 10-15 minutes, depending on their size.
3. Once they have floated to the top, remove them from the water and allow them to cool.
How to Steam Crabs:
Resulting in juicy meat, steaming crabs is a great way to cook them as they don’t tend to become as water-logged as when they are boiled.
1. Add about an inch of water to a large pot, and salt well, Bring to the boil.
2. If you have a steamer basket, place the crabs into it; alternatively, stack the crabs into the pot, allowing the bottom crab to support the others and act as a platform.
3. Cover the pot and cook the crabs for about 10-20 minutes, depending on their size. Remove the crabs once cooked and allow to cool before handling.
How to Grill Crabs:
Before grilling crabs, you should clean them. Most people prefer to boil or steam them until they are part-cooked, and then proceed to grill to finish cooking,
1. Boil or steam the crabs as described in the above methods, but only for 5 minutes. Allow them to cool before cleaning them.
2. Chop garlic and fresh herbs (or any other combinations you may prefer) and add to olive oil. Toss the cleaned crabs in the olive oil mix. Grill the crabs for about 4 minutes per side, until they are cooked and browned.
How to Roast Crabs:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Boil or steam the crabs as outlined above for about 5 minutes before cleaning.
3. Mix olive oil or butter with spices, garlic and herbs (or any other flavor combinations) and toss the crabs in it.
4. In a medium roasting pan, arrange the crabs in a single layer and roast until brown and sizzling, about 10 minutes.