Vegan English MuffinsCyd Converse
Use this recipe to make gorgeous vegan English muffins. Dairy-free and delicious, they're great with breakfast or lunch.
If you're following a vegan diet or looking for dairy-free dishes, then I'm happy to tell you there is a delicious treat that you don't need to go without. And that's crispy, golden English muffins.
We just love English muffins, with their puffy insides and their wonderful texture. They taste great when they are plain - with just a knob of real butter - and are especially good for breakfast, with a nice dollop of homemade jam on top.
If you want something a little more substantial, then use these vegan English muffins to create a mouthwatering breakfast sandwich, filled with crispy bacon and fried eggs. Yum!
English muffins don't HAVE to be just for breakfast though. Have you ever thought of having them for lunch? Or maybe as a sweet treat?
Here are some fun ways in which you can enjoy these vegan English muffins
English muffin pizza - Just heat your oven to 375 deg F. Split the muffin and place the halves cut side up on a baking tray. Spread with pizza sauce, then top with vegan mozzarella and sliced mushrooms, or any other toppings of your choice. Bake for 10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
Banana and cinnamon muffins - Split a muffin and toast it. Butter each half then top it with sliced banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.
Hummus melt - Split a muffin and toast it. Top each half with a slice of tomato, then smother it with hummus. Add a layer of cooked spinach, then top with grated vegan cheese and place under a pre-heated broiler until the cheese has melted.
English muffin with garlic mushrooms - Split and toast your muffin. Meanwhile, fry a hanful of quartered baby mushrooms with a little olive oil, vegan butter, crushed garlic and a splash of white wine until soft. Heap the mushrooms on to the toasted muffin and sprinkle with a little chopped, fresh thyme.
Cinnamon Raisin English Muffins
Vegan English Muffins
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 1 cup Soy Milk, unsweetened, warm
- 3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/4 ounce packet Active Dry Yeast
- 5 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Vegan Margarine, melted
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- Place the warm water, warm soy milk, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Whisk together to dissolve the sugar, then set aside for 5 minutes until the mixture looks foamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and salt.
- Carefully mix the lukewarm melted soy margarine into the yeast mixture.
- Gradually add the flour, a bit at a time, until you have a soft - not sticky - dough.
- Knead briefly until elastic, then place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl.
- Set aside, covered, for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, then sprinkle it generously with cornmeal.
- Punch the dough down, then turn it out onto a clean work surface.
- Cut it into circles using a lightly-floured round biscuit cutter, placing the muffins on the prepared sheet as you go. Cover with a clean dish towel and allow to rise for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle over a low heat.
- Place the muffins on the griddle and cook for around 10 minutes on each side, until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Cyd Converse
- The Spruce Eats
- Vegan, Muffins, Breakfasts, Lunches, Bread
- Related Recipes:
- Vegan Recipes, Muffin Recipes, Breakfast Recipes, Lunch Recipes, Bread Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 20 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Cyd Converse
Source: The Spruce Eats
Recipe Yields: 20 servings
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 200 minutes
Amount Per Serving