Slow Cooker Paprika Chicken RecipeLisa Grant | Jersey Girl Cooks
Slow Cooker Paprika Chicken is made with chicken quarters and preserved lemons. You'll be entraced by the amazing smell!
Chicken is a staple in our house. Since I have a deep freezer, there are always numerous packages waiting to be defrosted at any given time. While I occasional make a whole chicken, the legs and thighs win out at our house.
No one prefers the white meat, so I buy plenty of packages of chicken quarters. Not only are they versatile, the price is right and they are a very economical meal. This simple chicken dish doesn’t require many ingredients so it goes on the dinner rotation often.
The first time I tried a jar of preserved lemons, I fell in love. I usually buy them at Trader Joe’s, but Whole Foods sells them also. While many cooks love to preserve their own lemons, I like the easy way of opening a jar and getting dinner together in a few minutes. The lemons add a really special touch to this chicken dish. If you do not have preserved lemons, regular lemons can be substituted. Just be sure to add a little extra salt to the chicken, as preserved lemons have a much saltier flavor.
When preparing this dish, I like to spend a little extra time browning the chicken. It gives great color to the chicken as well as more flavor to the sauce. The smoked paprika also adds both color and flavor to the dish.
Once the chicken is browned the dish is ready to cook itself away in the slow cooker. I cut the potatoes in half rather than cutting them in small pieces so they keep their shape and do not get mushy.
I like to serve this meal with a green bean salad or tossed salad on the side. It can be made in advance so that you can get home from work and have dinner ready in no time.
If you like using your slow cooker as much as I do, try out these recipes too!
Slow Cooker Beef and Beer Sliders
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Slow Cooker Paprika Chicken Recipe
- 3 Chicken Quarters, Large
- 2 tablespoons Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt, Plus extra to taste
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 6 medium Potatoes, Cut in half
- 1-2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Capers
- 8 slices Preserved Lemon, About 1 1/2 lemons
- 1 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Parsley, Plus extra for garnish
- Cut the chicken quarters into two pieces removing any excess fat but leaving the skin on.
- In a small bowl, mix together the paprika, 1 teaspoon salt and garlic powder. Sprinkle on the chicken and potatoes, coating well.
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat and sauté the chicken for about 10 minutes or until the skin is golden brown, turning once in the middle of cooking.
- Put the chicken and potatoes in a large slow cooker. Add capers, preserved lemon and chicken broth. Give the pot a stir so the chicken and potatoes are both coated with the broth.
- Cook in the slow cooker on high heat for 4 to 6 hours or until chicken and potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with parsley the last few minutes of cooking. Serve chicken and potatoes garnished with some of the lemon wedges.
- Lisa Grant
- Cooking Method:
- Slow Cooker
- Easy Dinners, Slow Cooker, Crock Pot, Slow Cooked, Chicken, Potatoes, Lemons, Easy, Family Meals and Snacks
- Related Recipes:
- Easy Dinner Recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, Crock Pot Recipes, Slow Cooked Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Potato Recipes, Lemon Recipes, Easy Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 6 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Lisa Grant
Recipe Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 360 minutes
Total Time: 375 minutes
Amount Per Serving