Sandwich de Mezcla is the perfect party food! Filled with a tangy spread made with ham, cheese and pimiento. These Puerto Rican sandwiches are a tasty snack!
Mezcla means mix or mixture. These are sometimes called sandwichitos (little sandwiches) since they’re cut in half or quarters for serving like a tea sandwich.
The mixture here is a yummy cheese spread that’s pretty similar to southern pimento cheese.
Ingredients for Sandwich de Mezcla
- Cheese dip – the brand I use is Cheez Whiz. Tostitos also makes this. You can usually find this in the chip or snack aisle of the grocery store.
- Cream cheese – adds the perfect tang and thickness to the filling!
- Pimientos – They can be diced or whole. They’re sometimes called “fancy pimientos” or “sweet peppers.” They are NOT roasted.
- Potted luncheon meat – aka SPAM or Tulip Jamonilla. After living in Hawaii am I huge Spam fan! I like the low sodium version since all these ingredients contain a lot of salt.
- Sandwich bread – you can use any kind of bread you like, but I go with classic white. If you plan on trimming the crusts, get the flat top bread, not split top.
How to Make Mezcla Sandwich
They’re so easy to make!
- Prep: For easier processing, dice the ham and cube the cream cheese before blending.
- Blend: All of the filling ingredients go into a blender or food processor and are blended until smooth. Save the liquid from the pimientos! If the mixture is too thick you can thin it out with the juice. Plus, the juice has tons of flavor!
- Spread: Add as much or how little you want to add to your sandwiches. I don’t like to go too crazy, but I don’t like to be skimpy either.
- Cut: I’m the fancy girl who cuts off the crusts. It makes it more festive! You can leave the crust on if you like, but don’t forget to cut into quarters.
Are Sandwich de Mezcla Healthy?
Eh, no, these are not healthy. They’re filled with processed ingredients, but I love every excessive calorie! This is what makes them great as a once in a while treat party food.
These sandwiches are so quick to prepare I can have this done and tembleque in the fridge for dessert in less than 15 minutes!
Can You Make Sandwich de Mezcla Ahead of Time?
If preparing these for a party, you can make the filling ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. You can also assemble the sandwiches ahead of time, but they’ll start to get soggy after a day.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!