No bake peanut butter balls are easy to make and a great recipe to prepare with kids. Use different coatings to create a range of yummy flavors!
You can prep these ahead of time, perhaps on a Sunday, and snack on these all week! Not only are these nutty balls easy to make, they are tasty and relatively healthy; we've suggested some additional ingredients to add if you are wanting to amp up the nutrition factor!
Did you know peanut butter is bursting with good calories? It's an excellent source of unsaturated, healthy fats; it’s also packed full of fibre, protein and and an abundance of vitamins and minerals like vitamin A and E, iron, zinc, potassium, folate, calcium, and magnesium.
While peanut butter is high in calories, and these No Bake Peanut Butter Balls are calorie dense, you should not let this stop you from indulging in this healthy treat, as they help curb your cravings and provide plenty of energy.
If you are in a rush, store-bought peanut butter is fine to use in this recipe. But if you have a little extra time, it is well worth making your peanut butter at home! Not only is it tastier, but you can control the amount of sugar it contains, making it healthier than the store-bought version.
Making your own peanut butter is much easier than you think, but it is important to note that your version will never be as smooth as store-bought. But that's fine, because textured peanut butter works well for so many recipes and is perfect for these No Bake Peanut Butter Balls.
Here’s how to make your own peanut butter
This recipe yields about 1 1/2 cups:
2 cups raw, shelled peanuts
1/2 tsp kosher salt (plus more as needed)
1-2 tbsp peanut oil (optional, but results in a creamier texture)
1-2 tbsp honey (option, results in a sweeter butter)
Optional add ins: 1-2 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, handful of chocolate chips or a couple of spoonfuls of Nutella
1. For a rich, deep peanut flavor, we recommend roasting the peanuts. If you wish to do this, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, Spread the shelled peanuts on a baking sheet and roast for about 10 minutes until they have turned golden-brown and appear to have a glossy finish.
2. Transfer the peanuts into a food processor and pulse a few times using the blade attachment; alternatively, you can use a blender. The peanuts should be chopped; if you prefer a chunkier peanut butter, remove half of the chopped nuts and set them aside.
3. Blend or process the chopped nuts continuously for one minute; the nuts should look gritty. Using a spatula, scrape down the sides.
4. Blend or process for another minute, scraping down the sides once done. The butter should now look much softer, but will be very thick.
6. Add the salt, oil, honey and any of the other additions you may want and process/blend for up to two more minutes. The butter should be very smooth (not as smooth as store-bought). Taste and add any extra salt if required. If you preferred a chunkier peanut butter, now add the chopped peanuts you had put aside.
Now you can use your homemade peanut butter in the No Bake Peanut Butter Balls below: