French Toast with Warm Bourbon Vanilla Syrup RecipeHeather Tullos | Sugar Dish Me
French Toast with Warm Bourbon Vanilla Syrup is a comforting breakfast your whole family will love. The syrup is amazing!
Okay okay okay. FRENCH TOAST.
It’s about time, right? I mean, I have made a crazy amount of breakfast recipes since I started writing and sharing at Sugar Dish Me -- even more since I became a bona fide breakfast fanatic here at Food Fanatic -- and I have only ever published one other French toast recipe.
Clearly I like to booze up my grilled breakfast breads. I think it must have something to do with the sweet custardy insides.
You can definitely leave the bourbon out, but if you’re into in, with the vanilla and the sneaky butter I added to the syrup? Ohhhhhmahgahhh it is dreamy.
This is a breakfast that could easily be brunch, and can definitely double as dessert.
And there’s one super tip to making the MOST awesome French toast that I’m going to spell out for you. Carry it with you forever and use it whenever possible.
Are you ready?
You need Texas Toast to make amazing French toast. The big fat slices soak up the eggy custard like no other bread will. You have to grill them a little longer so it cooks through, but oh man is it ever worth it.
And now we need to talk syrup. I mentioned sneaky butter -- that’s because it’s melted right in there - right inside that nice warm syrup. I hate when the butter pools in one little spot on my French toast or pancakes. If you melt the butter INTO the syrup you get awesomely even butter distribution. There are so many breakfast secrets happening here today.
If fancied up French Toast is totally your thing, you’ll also want to try this peanut butter cheesecake French toast recipe. If you like to plan ahead this overnight berry French toast is exactly your speed.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
French Toast with Warm Bourbon Vanilla Syrup Recipe
- 5 Eggs
- 4 cups Milk, At least 2%, but preferably whole
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 8 slices Texas Toast
- Butter, For the griddle
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1/3 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- pinch of Salt
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon
- Powdered Sugar
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- Heat the griddle to 375°F or 400°F. Butter the hot surface.
- Dip each piece of Texas toast in the egg mixture. Let it coat both sides. You may want to lift the bread from the batter with a spatula -- it can prevent the soaked bread from tearing.
- Gently place each slice on the hot griddle. Cook the first side for 4-5 minutes. Flip and then cook the second side for 3-4 minutes.
- To make the syrup, melt the 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Pour in the syrup and let it cook for 3-4 minutes, until the syrup is warmed all the way through. Remove it from the heat and stir in the vanilla, salt, and bourbon.
- Serve the French toast warm topped with the syrup. Garnish with powdered sugar.
- Heather Tullos
- Cooking Method:
- Breakfasts, Brunches, French Toast, Easy, Griddle, Family Meals and Snacks
- Related Recipes:
- Breakfast Recipes, Brunch Recipes, French Toast Recipes, Easy Recipes, Griddle Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 4 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Heather Tullos
Recipe Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Amount Per Serving