Creamy Chicken Fajita Pasta - A perfectly quick and easy weeknight dinner. Everything cooks together and is ready in just minutes. Super creamy, cheese, full of lots of flavor and fresh veggies.
When it comes to dinner at my house a couple things always win over my family. Pasta, Mexican flavors and anything cheesy.
And when you get all of those things in one dinner, I know it is going to be a huge hit.
Taco Pasta Skillet has always been one of my favorites because it is so easy, but this fajita pasta now rivals it for the top spot.
The thing that makes this chicken fajita pasta so simple, is how it all cooks together in one pan.
The chicken and the pasta with all the seasonings come together in one pan and the pasta absorbs all the flavor as it cooks.
Could not get much easier!
I love to use my own homemade seasoning blend when I make fajitas, but you can also use a store bought mix if that is what you have.
When you make it yourself you can make a big batch to have on hand to use any night of the week.
How to Make Chicken Fajita Pasta
Start by browning the chicken in a large skillet. You want to have the chicken cut into bite sized pieces. I use boneless skinless chicken breasts, but chicken thighs also work well too. The chicken gets well coated in fajita seasoning, so it is flavorful and delicious.
Once the chicken is browned, remove it from the skillet and keep it warm on a plate. I like to cover the chicken with foil to help keep it warm.
Next add in the onions and bell peppers and sauté them until they are lightly browned. The chicken then gets added back in and everything is tossed together.
Now the pasta, tomatoes, chicken broth, and milk gets added to the pan. Everything cooks together for about 12 minutes until the pasta is fully cooked.
Finally stir in the cheese. It gets all melty and makes it extra creamy and tasty.
What's in Fajita Pasta
- Pasta - you can use whatever shape pasta you have. Short cut pasta is best; like penne, rotini, bowtie or just about anything else that size.
- Veggies - traditional vegetables for fajitas are onions and bell peppers. Here I used onions, green and red bell pepper. But you can use whatever color peppers you have.
- Sauce - the sauce is made with diced tomatoes and some kind of milk to make it creamy. You can use all cream, half and half, whole milk or a mixture of the three. Heavy cream will make the pasta extra thick and creamy, but also add more calories. I like to use half and half so I get it creamy but cuts down a little on the calories.
- Meat - this is obviously chicken fajita pasta, so I used chicken. But you could use just about any meat in its place. Even ground chicken or beef would work. So use whatever your favorite is or whatever you have on hand.
- Seasoning - A store bought packet works great for this recipe. They tend to be high in sodium, so I like to make my own. I use the same seasoning when I make Chicken Fajita Quesadillas. I have a big batch in the pantry and just use 2 Tablespoons when I am making this Mexican pasta.
This one pot chicken fajita pasta is ready in just minutes and the whole family is going to love how creamy, cheesy, and delicious it is.
You can adjust the heat level by adding more cayenne. My guys like it spicy, so we always up the heat!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!