A batch of these easy homemade Cinnamon Crumble Donuts and a cup of coffee is a delicious and relaxing way to start off any morning. You’ll crave them every day!
This week I realized that I haven't made and shared any donuts since last fall when I made these chocolate chip pumpkin donuts. Now I also realize that five months without donuts isn't really that big of a deal. You try telling my donut pan the same thing.
The poor pan sits there all neglected for months at a time until I get the urge to make more donuts for breakfast. Ok, fine for afternoon snacks.
As much as we try, the kids are still not big breakfast eaters. I call it a morning win if they grab a granola bar as they go out the door for school in the morning.
There is something so delicious about a crunchy crumble topping on baked goods. Ever since I added it to the top of this banana split coffee cake, I can't stop putting it on all the things.
This week I wondered how it would work if I added it to the top of a donut. As you can by the pile of cinnamon crumble donuts staring back at you, it was a success.
This is my basic donut recipe that I use for just about every donut baking adventure. The addition of sour cream helps keep the baked donuts soft and fluffy with a tight crumb texture.
To change up the donuts this time, I added some cinnamon and nutmeg. The addition of nutmeg gives it more of a bakery style taste. And the smell in your kitchen will have you smiling ear to ear as you wait for the donuts to finish baking!
- Do not overfill the pan when you make these cinnamon crumble donuts.
- Avoid filling your pans too full. You need to fill them halfway with batter and then top them with spoonfuls of the crumble goodness. If you fill them too full, they will push the crumble topping off as they bake. Trust me, you want that crumble to stay on the donuts.
- To fill the pans easier, spoon the batter into a large Ziploc bag and cut the tip off. It will pipe into the pan pretty easily this way. Of course, using a spoon to fill the pan works just as well.
- A crunchy topping and a drizzle of glaze makes these Cinnamon Crumble Donuts a delicious breakfast choice.
- Make sure to press the crumble topping down into the batter before you place the pan in the oven. Each donut will bake up slightly different because of the crumbs melting and crisping on the donuts.
Adding a drizzle of glaze not only makes the donuts look appealing, it also holds the crumbs on top. Every bite of these spice filled warm donuts has an explosion of flavor and texture making you reach for more.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!