Greek Gyro Skillet RecipeTanya Schroeder | Lemons for Lulu
Greek Gyro Skillet is a fabulous one pot dish you can make easily. Full of Greek ingredients and flavors.
We all have those Italian friends who don't speak a lick of Italian, but feel the need to enunciate every syllable of words like prosciutto or mozzarella. That sort of talk makes me crazy until I hear someone say gyro sandwich.
That's when my fake Greek accent comes out, and I abruptly rattle off corrections. It's gyro...I say...the "g" comes from deep inside your throat. And it's not gyro with a long "y". It's G-Y-R-O. I’m just as bad with baklava and tzatziki. Yeah, I'm totally annoying.
Food's pronunciation doesn't matter; it's all about the taste. A garden-fresh tomato is delicious no matter how your vowels are pronounced. The same holds true for a gyro sandwich.
Greek gyro sandwiches are THE best. They are typically made with lamb that is thinly shaved and piled into warm pita bread. Cucumbers, fresh tomatoes, kalamata olives and red onions add freshness to the warm lamb meat. The sandwich is finished off with creamy and garlicky tzatziki sauce (don't forget the feta cheese)!
This easy skillet meal is a blend of all the Greek flavors that make up a classic gyro sandwich. This recipe starts with ground lamb that is browned with onions and garlic. If the lamb is too strong for you, ground beef could easily be substituted.
Where gyros have diced cucumbers, I chose to use diced zucchini instead (warm cucumbers are not the best). Rice is added to the beef along with vegetable broth the fresh tomatoes; olives and feta are stirred in just before serving. If you really wanted to get fancy, you could also stir in sun-dried tomatoes.
I vow to never ever criticize the way anyone pronounces the word gyro again! All I ask is that you enjoy the sandwich and more importantly, try this easy Greek gyro skillet recipe!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Greek Gyro Skillet Recipe
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Diced Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 pound Ground Lamb
- 1 cup Diced Zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dried Greek Seasoning Blend, Such as McCormick
- 32 ounces Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 1/2 cup Roma Tomato, Diced
- 1/3 cup Chopped Kalamata Olives
- 1/4 cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil and onions.
- Cook onions until they are soft and translucent. Stir in garlic.
- Add ground lamb. Cook and crumble until lamb is no longer pink.
- Add zucchini and cook for just 3-4 minutes or until zucchini begins to soften.
- Sprinkle in salt, pepper, and Greek seasoning; stir.
- Add vegetable broth to vegetable mixture and bring to a low boil.
- Stir in rice, cover and reduce heat. Cook rice for 10-15 minutes or until it is fluffy and liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in tomatoes and olives and feta cheese.
- Tanya Schroeder
- Cooking Method:
- One Pot Meals, Easy Dinners, Easy, Greek, Lamb, Zucchini, Tomatoes, Onions, Olives, Simmered
- Related Recipes:
- One Pot Meal Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Easy Recipes, Greek Recipes, Lamb Recipes, Zucchini Recipes, Tomato Recipes, Onion Recipes, Olife Recipes, Simmered Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 6 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Tanya Schroeder
Recipe Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Amount Per Serving