Gluten Free Double Chocolate Bars RecipeShashi Charles | Savory Spin
Gluten Free Double Chocolate Bars are gluten free and have a secret ingredient. Acorn squash!
When my daughter was younger, I used to sneak all kinds of veggies into the treats I made her. In fact, I went a little further than just sneaking stuff into her treats; if I recall, she was around two and a half when she had her first taste of bona fide cream-and-sugar ice cream at a friend’s birthday and was totally puzzled! Mainly because I had been giving her frozen banana-strawberry-yogurt "ice cream" up until then.
Now, I had friends who didn't support this sneaking around business; "Shashi, she needs to know what she is tasting", they would often say! But, it seemed to work for us - it kept things interesting and fun - and fuss-free in our house!
As the years rolled by though, I started sharing some of the ingredients that went into making her cupcakes and cookies - but, she had grown to love them; so, she wasn't too fazed. Beets in cupcakes, spinach in pancakes, and pumpkin in scones - she ate them all without complaining! However, every now and then, I would throw in an ingredient I knew she detested - just to shake things up and see if she really truly disliked said ingredient.
For example, when I cook a bowl of quinoa, she claims to deplore it and won't touch it - but, when I made her these quinoa chocolate chip pancakes - there was no protesting as she gobbled them up! The same happened when I made these gluten free double chocolate bars - or, you could call them double chocolate squash bars, or maybe even brownies, as they are not as dense as a brownie - but not as light and fluffy as a cake.
These are totally gluten free and flour free. That means absolutely no oat or almond or coconut flour at all – but you really wouldn’t know it. And, these bars also happen to be dairy free! Using squash with chocolate chips and cocoa and eggs, make these bars or brownies so totally decadent - perfect for dessert or even breakfast for that matter! I sure hope y’all give these bars/brownies a try!
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Gluten Free Double Chocolate Bars Recipe
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- 1/2 Acorn Squash, Roasted for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Instant Coffee
- 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut an acorn squash in half. Save one half for another use, and roast the second half in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- While the squash roasts, use an electric beater or stand mixer to mix the eggs till well blended.
- Add the brown sugar and roasted acorn squash and beat until well incorporated.
- Using a spatula, fold in the cocoa powder, instant coffee and dark chocolate chips.
- Spoon into a parchment lined baking tray and bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then cut into nine squares.
- Shashi Charles
- Cooking Method:
- Gluten Free
- Gluten Free Desserts
- Gluten Free Desserts, Gluten Free Baking, Baking, Baked, Gluten Free, Chocolate, Bar Desserts, Brownies
- Related Recipes:
- Gluten Free Dessert Recipes, Gluten Free Baking Recipes, Baking Recipes, Baked Recipes, Gluten Free Recipes, Chocolate Recipes, Bar Dessert Recipes, Brownie Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 9 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Shashi Charles
Recipe Yields: 9 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Amount Per Serving