BBQ Chicken Wings RecipeEmily Caruso | Jelly Toast
Perfect for the Super Bowl or any festive occasion, these barbecue chicken wings are easy to make and guaranteed to fire up the crowd.
BBQ chicken wings? I know what you're thinking: you've seen them all.
Trust me, these are different. The complexity of flavor in this BBQ sauce is anything but ordinary.
Layers upon layers of spice, sweetness and citrus will pummel your taste buds and keep you guessing just what exactly is in this incredible sauce.
Now, I realize that since you will be the one making the sauce, you will be privy to the ingredients, but that doesn't mean that you won't be shocked at the awesomeness of each bite.
When I sat down to a heaping plate (and I mean a crazy heaping plate) of these little wings, every bite had me pumping my fist. Actually in my kitchen, fist pumping.
This sauce has everything: a touch of sweet, a bit of sour and a whole lot of savory spice. I had to force myself to share them and let me tell you, that wasn't easy.
In fact I was selfishly hoping that these might be 'too spicy' for my kiddos to enjoy, but alas, they each gobbled up a plateful and then asked for more.
These New Orleans-Style BBQ Wings are sure to be a hit with your friends at your next party or game day. Just make sure that you don't run out or you will be up to your eyeballs in grumpy guests.
I'm not going to lie; I'm getting a bit grumpy thinking about the fact that mine are gone. No worries, it's nothing another batch of these wings can't fix.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
BBQ Chicken Wings Recipe
- 16 medium Chicken Wings, tips removed, drummettes and flats separated
- 3 tablespoons Red Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 large Onion, sweet, diced
- 6 cloves Garlics, minced
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 lemon-worth Lemon Juice
- 1 Lemon, sliced and seeds removed
- 3 Bay Leafs
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top.In a large bowl, toss chicken wings with 3 tablespoons of chili powder and 2 teaspoons of salt. Use your hands to rub spices into the skin as needed.
- Lay wings out on wire rack in a single layer. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until skin is crispy and chicken is cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking: In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onions are soft, but not browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir, bringing to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes or until sauce is thickened a bit. Remove from heat and allow sauce to cool at room temperature. Discard lemon slices and bay leaves.
- In a large bowl pour 1 1/2 cups of BBQ sauce, reserving the rest for dipping) and add the cooked chicken wings. Toss gently to coat chicken. Spread chicken back out onto wire rack lined baking sheet and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the sauce is slightly caramelized.
- Serve chicken wings with reserved sauce for dipping. ENJOY!
- Emily Caruso
- Al Roker's Big Bad Book of Barbeque
- Cooking Method:
- Appetizers, Chicken Wings, American, Chicken, Baked
- Related Recipes:
- Appetizer Recipes, Chicken Wing Recipes, American Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Baked Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 16 chicken wings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Emily Caruso
Source: Al Roker's Big Bad Book of Barbeque
Recipe Yields: 16 chicken wings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 75 minutes
Total Time: 95 minutes
Amount Per Serving