Looking for tuna steak recipes for the oven? Here's a great one to try - plus some ideas for simple marinades
Tuna steaks are a great source of protein with very little fat content.
The amino acids found in tuna steaks help with the growth and maintenance of lean muscle tissue.
Tuna steaks work well with so many flavors and can be enjoyed raw, as sashimi, seared or cooked through. Whilst often neglected, we love to bake our tuna steaks. So, today we will share tuna steak recipes for the oven that will help switch up your typical pan-seared recipes.
When looking for tuna, it is a great idea to check out your local seafood market where it will be fresher and usually at a great price.
If you do not have access to a seafood market, you can usually find fresh tuna at the grocery store.
Commonly, the tuna you find here will already be sliced into steaks.
The best type of tuna steaks to buy are bluefin, yellowfin, bigeye or albacore. You may also find frozen tuna steaks which are another perfectly suitable option, as they do not typically lose flavor or texture.
Before we get to baking your tuna steaks, let’s take a look at some delicious tuna steak marinades.
It is so important to marinate your tuna to help create a depth of flavor.
Unlike other types of meat, fish does not need as long to marinate as the acidity in the marinades used can begin to cook the fish.
For this reason, you should aim to marinade your tuna for about 20 minutes, but no longer than 30 minutes.
Here are some of our favorite tuna steak marinades:
- Chili Lime: lime juice, soy sauce, honey, chilli sauce & olive oil (all in equal proportions)
- Soy Ginger: brown sugar, toasted sesame seeds, scallions, ginger, garlic, soy sauce & sesame oil
- Orange: orange juice, soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, fresh parsley, garlic & fresh oregano
The great thing about marinades is that you can get as creative as you’d like and test out new flavors.
One of our most adored tuna steak recipes for the oven is cooked in just 25 minutes. Best of all, you can line your baking sheet with foil, reducing the amount of dishes you have to wash - great for a busy night!
2x 6oz tuna steaks, 1” thick
6 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
1 tsp dried dill weed
12 large asparagus stalks
1 tsp garlic powder
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Place your tuna steaks into a large bowl. Zest the lemon over the steaks and squeeze the juice into the bowl. Add salt, pepper, dill weed and olive oil.
3. With tongs, turn the steaks several times so they are coated. Leave to marinade for about 20 minutes.
4. Place the tuna steaks onto your lined baking sheet and drizzle remaining marinade over the steaks. Place the asparagus onto the sheet and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and drizzle with oil. Top with grated Parmesan and use tongs to roll them around in the seasonings so they are coated well.
5. Bake for about 12 minutes and test your asparagus by trying to spear them with a fork. At this point, your tuna steaks will be medium. If you prefer them well done, leave them in for another few minutes.
6. Simply plate up and enjoy with a squeeze of fresh lemon over your tuna!