Learn how to make rice! It’s the side dish that goes with everything!
There are so many options and styles of rice! Let’s get to the details of how to make rice.
Tips for Cooking Rice
· Rinse the rice before you cook it. This will help get rid of extra starch that can make your rice mushy or clumpy.
· Always follow the instructions on the package. The cooking time and the amount of water will depend on the particular type of rice and whether it’s been parboiled (as with instant rice).
· Let cooked rice sit covered for 10 minutes before fluffing it. This will help firm up the rice.
Ratio of Water to Rice
The ratio of water to rice will depend on the cooking method and the style of rice.
· When boiling medium- or long-grain rice on the stove without draining, use 1 1/3 cups of water per 1 cup of raw rice.
· When boiling short-grain rice, use equal parts water and rice.
· To boil brown rice, use 1 ¾ cups water to 1 cup rice.
· For cooking rice in a skillet recipe like this Sausage and Rice Skillet, use 2 parts water or liquid to 1 part rice.
· When cooking rice in a pressure cooker, use equal parts water and rice.
How to Cook Rice on the Stove
1. Rinse rice in a fine mesh strainer while running your fingers through the grains. Rinse until the water runs clear.
2. Add rice and water to a pot according to the ratios above and based on the package instructions. Stir to combine and place over medium-high heat.
3. Let the rice come to a boil. Give it a stir, lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pot.
4. Cook the rice for the time listed on the package. In general, cook medium- and long-grain rice for 15 minutes, short-grain rice for 20 minutes and brown rice for 30 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and let the rice sit for 10-15 minutes. Then, fluff with a fork.
How to Cook Rice in a Rice Cooker
It’s best to follow the instructions for your rice cooker.
How to Cook Rice in a Pressure Cooker
Add equal parts rinsed rice and water to your Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Follow the instructions for your machine’s rice setting.
How to Cook Rice in the Microwave
Add rinsed rice to a microwave-safe container and add enough water to cover the rice by one inch. Heat, loosely covered, for 9 minutes. Let the covered rice rest for 3 minutes, then fluff and serve.
What is the Best Way to Cook Rice?
It’s a matter of preference. This editor prefers cooking rice like pasta and draining the excess water.
Others might like the convenience of using an Instant Pot pressure cooker.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!