Wondering how to cook fresh green beans? We’ve got the details!
No garden? No problem.
You can visit your local farmer’s market. Like many other vegetables, the fresh green beans there will be better than the ones at the grocery store.
Choose firm, vibrant green beans without brown spots. They should snap easily.
Once you bring the green beans home, you’ll want to store them properly before you’re ready to cook them.
How to Store Fresh Green Beans
You can store fresh green beans in the refrigerator for up to a week, if you don’t wash them first. Store the veggies in the crisper drawer, in a covered plastic container or sealed plastic bag.
How to Cook Fresh Green Beans
When you’re ready to enjoy a delicious green bean side dish, you have a several options for cooking the vegetables. You can boil the green beans or roast them in the oven. You also can steam them, microwave them or sauté them.
Before cooking fresh green beans, rinse and drain them. Snap off the ends, and if desired, snap the beans in half.
Boiling Green Beans:
- Fill a pot 2/3 full with water. Bring to a boil over high heat on the stove.
- Add green beans without overcrowding. Boil the green beans for 10 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- Drain the green beans and toss with olive oil or butter. Add seasonings and serve.
Microwaving Green Beans:
- Place the green beans in a microwave-safe casserole with a couple tablespoons of water to create steam.
- Cover the green beans and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes, or until done to your liking.
- Drain the water before adding any seasonings or toppings.
Steaming Green Beans:
- Add 2-3 inches of hot water to a pot that your steam basket fits into. Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil over high heat on the stove.
- Meanwhile, place the green beans in the steam basket.
- When the water is boiling, place the steam basket over the boiling water and cover.
- Steam the green beans for 7 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
Roasting Green Beans:
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the green beans in a sheet pan and toss with olive oil and seasonings.
- Roast the green beans for 25-35 minutes, stirring once.
Sautéing Green Beans:
- Parboil the green beans until almost cooked to your liking.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add finely chopped garlic and let it cook for a minute or two.
- Add the green beans, salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Sauté the green beans until tender.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!