Strawberry Limeade Cake RecipeKristan Roland | Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
Strawberry Limeade Cake is a complete delight to the senses. A wonderful choice for a summer birthday.
Um, hi. I made you the most perfectly gorgeous summer cake.
Isn't cake the most perfect dessert on the planet? It's pretty, it's versatile, it's covered in frosting. I personally feel that one's views on cake serves at a sort of litmus test for what kind of human being they are.
Don't like cake? I can't trust you.
Love cake? Can we be friends?
My son Jon David doesn't like cake. I gladly accept your condolences and assure you that we are working on it. It's a process. I'm always trying to sneak him spoonfuls of frosting and he's always turning his head away in disgust. It's our family's biggest shame, but what do you do? We all have our dirty secrets. I love the kid, but sometimes you have to realize that the problem is bigger than you.
Obviously, this stunner of a cake is hard to resist. It wasn't difficult for Jon David, the cake hater, but Lucy and I dove in with great abandon. We would have shared with my husband, but he was late to the party and we had already made short work of it.
Never underestimate two girls with a fork and a free afternoon, just saying.
The cake itself is slightly dense and moist, full of zippy lime flavor and pretty green color. The strawberry frosting has a bit of cream cheese in it, just to give it a tangy creaminess. It's the perfect contrast to the lime and a great flavor combination.
Definitely keep an eye on this cake while it's baking – even just a bit of over baking will make it a little dry and crumbly. And we all know that dry cakes are against the law. For extra moistness and flavor, feel free to brush the cakes with a bit of lime juice after you level them with a serrated knife.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Strawberry Limeade Cake Recipe
IngredientsFor the Cake:
- 2 1/2 cups Cake Flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 stick Salted Butter
- 2 tablespoons Lime Zest
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 3 large Eggs
- 3 Large Egg Yolks
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Lime Juice
- 2-4 drops Green Food Coloring
- 3/4 cup Salted Butter, (12 tablespoons)
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1/2 cup Frozen Sweetened Strawberries in Syrup, Thawed and pureed
- 5-6 cups Powdered Sugar
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 2 (8 inch) round cake pans and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter, sugar, and lemon zest on medium speed for two minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating and scraping the sides of the bowl after each. Add lime juice and mix until smooth.
- Add flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture alternately, starting and ending with flour. Stir in a few drops of green food coloring. Give the batter a good stir from the bottom, then pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched in the center.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pans for about 7 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
For the Frosting:
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth.
- Add pureed strawberry mixture, beating on low until smooth.
- Add 5 cups powdered sugar and continue beating on low until JUST mixed.
- Increase mixer speed to high and beat for one minute. If frosting is too thin, add additional cup of powdered sugar.
Assemble the Cake:
- Carefully level cooled cakes with a serrated knife, then frost and assemble. Keep uneaten cake stored in the refrigerator.
- Kristan Roland
- Heavily adapted from allrecipes.com
- Cooking Method:
- Desserts, Cakes, Strawberries, Limes, Party Food, Frosting, Baked, Baking, Summer
- Related Recipes:
- Dessert Recipes, Cake Recipes, Strawberry Recipes, Lime Recipes, Party Food Recipes, Frosting Recipes, Baked Recipes, Baking Recipes, Summer Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 10 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Kristan Roland
Source: Heavily adapted from allrecipes.com
Recipe Yields: 10 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 52 minutes
Amount Per Serving