Cuban Sandwich RecipeTanya Schroeder | Lemons for Lulu
Cuban Sandwich is exactly the sandwich your table needs today. Lunch or dinner, you'll love it!
My kids recently discovered the movie The Mask. While all three kids thought this movie was hysterical, this movie seemed to really speak to my 10 year-old son. It wasn’t so much the movie itself as it was Jim Carrey’s physical comedic style.
I think this movie made my son realize that it’s not always what you say that gets a laugh, but it’s HOW you say it. Exaggerated movements and silly accents can be really funny. To my son, the class clown, this movie was downright educational.
The biggest take-away for my son was the Cuban Pete song. Not only has my son remembered every single word, but also he can recall every dance move, facial expression and “aye yai yai”. The similarities are a little uncanny and downright unnerving.
Every time my son sang that song, the word Cuban made me think of Cuban sandwiches. I’ve never actually tried an authentic Cuban sandwich. But I've made Cuban casseroles before with great success!
Traditionally, Cuban sandwiches are made with Cuban bread, ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickles and mustard. I’m not a big Swiss cheese eater and I could not find Cuban bread, so I had to improvise.
I used slightly sweet Hawaiian bread in my Cuban sandwich along with thick ham slices, roasted pork, mild and creamy Havarti cheese, pickles and my own honey mustard dressing.
This sandwich is a must if you ever have leftover roasted pork! If you do not have pork handy, roasted turkey breast slices would work in a pinch. The flavors would be different, but different can be good!
This sandwich is downright addicting! I personally loved the sweet honey mustard with tangy pickles. The creamy cheese partnered well with the salty ham and the roasted pork brought a unique roasted flavor and a hardy texture to this sandwich. My son can keep his Cuban Pete; I’ll keep the sandwich!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Cuban Sandwich Recipe
- 4 teaspoons Butter
- 8 slices Sweet Hawaiian Bread
- 4 slices Ham, Thick-cut
- 4 ounces Roasted Pork
- 4 slices Havarti Cheese
- 8 Sandwich Pickle Slices
- 2 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Coarse Grain Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Honey
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Spread a half a teaspoon of butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place 4 slices of bread, buttered side down onto hot grill pan.
- Layer a slice of ham over each piece of bread, followed by pork, cheese slices, pickles and a teaspoon of honey mustard dressing. Place remaining bread slice on top (buttered side up).
- Grill sandwich for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden. Serve immediately.
- Tanya Schroeder
- Cooking Method:
- Sandwiches, Easy, Ham, Pork, Pickled, Lunches, Easy Dinners, Griddle
- Related Recipes:
- Sandwich Recipes, Easy Recipes, Ham Recipes, Pork Recipes, Pickled Recipes, Lunch Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Griddle Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 4 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Tanya Schroeder
Recipe Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Total Time: 11 minutes
Amount Per Serving