Cheddar Potato Soup RecipeAllison Ruth | Some the Wiser
Cheddar Potato Soup is wholesome and hearty, and something the whole family will love. Let's all stay in and cozy and have a bowl!
There comes a point every winter when I start lamenting the lack of fresh fruits and vegetables. I start dreaming of warmer weather and all of the colorful edibles that will accompany it. Suddenly, another root vegetable for dinner feels unbearable. And then I remember Grandma Ruth’s recipe for Cheddar Potato Soup, and all is right in the winter world again.
Something that I have noticed about myself as I get older is that during the colder, winter months of the year, most of my meal plans revolve around “comfort” foods. Lots of warm dishes, creamy dishes, soul soothing recipes. This particular potato soup recipe is double the comfort because while it brings warmth to a cold winter kitchen, it also reminds me of my grandmother who truly believed there was no problem that a good meal couldn’t set right. I eat this soup and remember how very right she was.
This simple chunky soup recipe is a longtime favorite and a winter staple at my house. It doesn’t have a lot of ingredients, yet it is full of flavor and warm winter comfort. It’s thick, creamy, filling, and really delicious. The final secret ingredient is the cheddar. Without the cheese, the soup is good, but with a high quality sharp cheddar sprinkled on top, the soup is fantastic! Best of all, with sharp cheddar, a little bit of cheese goes a long way for flavor.
Serve this soup at the end of a winter day with hot muffins, biscuits fresh from the oven, or a crusty artisan bread, and you will fill your tummies and soothe your souls. The creamy texture and mild flavors make it a family favorite that the kids can’t find anything to complain about. The soup re-heats beautifully on day two and makes a great left-over dinner or lunch, but I find that I rarely have leftovers because this soup really is just that good.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Cheddar Potato Soup Recipe
- 4 cups Red Potato, cubed
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 3 large Carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth, or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Milk, reduced fat is fine
- 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Saute for approximately 7 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Stir in broth, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook partially covered for approximately 30 to 40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Lightly spoon flour into a measuring cup; level with knife. Place flour in a small bowl and gradually add milk while constantly whisking to combine. When well blended, stir into potato mixture. Cook uncovered for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until soup is thick and creamy.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and sprinkle with cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Allison Ruth
- Cooking Method:
- Soups, Family Meals and Snacks, Simmered, Easy Dinners, Dinners, Potatoes, Cheese, Freezer Meals
- Related Recipes:
- Soup Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes, Simmered Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Potato Recipes, Cheese Recipes, Freezer Meal Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 8 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Allison Ruth
Recipe Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 75 minutes
Total Time: 90 minutes
Amount Per Serving