Learn how to cook chicken breast! It’s one of the most versatile dishes.
Americans eat a total of 160 million servings of chicken per day. On average, each American eats 60 pounds of chicken a year.
It’s probably because people are becoming more health conscious. Chicken, and chicken breast in particular, is known for being a lean meat.
It’s economical too. Let’s go over the various ways to cook chicken breast.
How to Cook Chicken Breasts in the Oven
One of the simplest ways to cook chicken breasts is to bake them in the oven at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. The chicken is done when it’s no longer pink inside and registers 165 degrees F.
Try this Garlic Baked Chicken recipe. Store leftover chicken breasts in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to Cook Chicken Breasts on the Grill
- Marinate the chicken breasts first.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. Pour the mixture over chicken breasts in a large baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken and discard marinade. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Grill for 7-8 minutes per side, or until fully cooked, which is 165°F.
Cooking Chicken Breasts on the Stove
If you want to cook chicken breasts on the stove, it’s best to purchase thin ones, so they’ll cook more quickly. You’ll still need to pound the chicken breasts with a mallet or heavy-bottomed pan, to tenderize them.
- Dredge the pounded chicken breasts in seasoned flour.
- Add one tablespoon of butter and one tablespoon of oil to a large skillet and add the chicken in a single layer when the pan sizzles.
- Cook the first side for 2-4 minutes, until golden brown.
- Flip the chicken and cook the second side for about two minutes.
- At this point, you can add wine and lemon and coat both sides of the chicken with sauce, as in this Chicken Marsala recipe.
How to cook Chicken Breasts in the Slow Cooker
It’s a breeze to cook chicken breasts in the slow cooker. The key is not to overcook them, or they’ll be dry.
- Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker, covered with about 12 ounces of liquid, such as salsa or broth.
- Cook for 1 hour and 45 minutes on high. Cut open a breast to see if it’s cooked through. If needed, cook for an additional 15 minutes or more.
- If you want to cook the chicken breasts on low, check the chicken after four hours to see if it’s done. It may need up to five hours total.
- Shred the chicken with two forks.
How to Cook Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot
The best part about cooking chicken breast in the Instant Pot is you can start with fresh or frozen chicken and still have dinner on the table in just over 30 minutes.
You can make this Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup by throwing chicken breasts and the other ingredients in the Instant Pot, pressure cooking on high for 15 minutes for fresh chicken, or 18 minutes for frozen. Then do a natural release of the steam and shred your chicken.
You’ve got so many options! Time to get cooking!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!