- 1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef
- 1 cup Italian Style Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 5-6 pinches Fennel Seed, divided between meatballs and sauce
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Boiling Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 6 ounce can Tomato Paste
- 30 ounces Tomato Puree, 2 15 ounce cans
- 2 tablespoons Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Basil, chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, bread crumbs, Parmesan, egg, parsley, and fennel. Shape the mixture into balls, approximately the size of golf balls (using a cookie scoop works well).
In a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat, add olive oil and sauté onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, or until onion is soft and golden.
Stir in the tomato paste and sugar. Add the water and stir until well combined, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the tomato puree, oregano, red pepper flakes, fennel, basil and stir. Pour sauce into slow cooker. Place meatballs into the sauce mixture.
Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.