- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Light Brown Sugar, plus a little extra for sprinkling the tops
- Whole Nutmeg, freshly grated (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice
- 4 ounces Unsalted Butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup Dried Currants, or other dried fruit
- 2 large Eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup Cold Milk
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add the sugar, nutmeg and allspice.
Add the butter and use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour mix until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
Stir in the currants, eggs and milk. Mix to form a stiff batter and all the flour is absorbed.
Drop palm-size mounds of the batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
Sprinkle the tops with sugar.
Bake for 15 minutes until they are golden.
Transfer to a rack to cool completely.