- 1 cup Dried Green Peas, or Dried White Peas, soaked for 6 hours or overnight
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Mustard Seed
- 3 Whole Cloves
- 1/2 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 cup Diced Onion
- 1 tablespoon Minced Fresh Ginger
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 cup Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder, (red), optional
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and heat the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds, cloves and cinnamon stick. Let them simmer for a minute.
Add the chopped onions, garlic and ginger and fry for 2 minutes
Add the tomatoes, turmeric, coriander, garam masala, red chili powder, and salt and stir for 2-3 minutes until the mixture becomes soft and the spices are well incorporated.
Add the peas, brown sugar and 2 cups of water. Stir.
Close the lid of the instant pot, seal the pressure valve and set to manual mode 25 minutes. Let it naturally release before opening.
Stir in the lemon juice and chopped cilantro.
Serve alone or as a soup garnished with fresh chopped onions or over potato patties.
- Adjust the amount of garam masala and red chili powder to your own spice level.
- You can substitute 1 Tablespoon tamarind paste for lemon juice.
- You can substitute 1 Tablespoon jaggery for brown sugar.