- 6 slices Bacon
- 1 cup Chopped Onion, Diced small, about 1/2 a large onion
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 3 cups Diced Russet Potatoes, Chopped small (about 3 medium potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons Gum-free Rice Flour Blend, Sweet rice flour, or cornstarch
- 1 10 ounce can Whole Clams, Reserve juice
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Broth, Or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups Half & Half
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Parsley
In a large soup pot or French oven, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside and then crumble once cooled. Keep 2-3 tablespoons of bacon fat in the pan and remove the excess.
Sauté the onions, garlic, and dried thyme until the onions are softened and starting to turn translucent, 2-3 minutes.
Add the potatoes and sauté until slightly softened, another 5 or so minutes.
Sprinkle the rice flour over the vegetables and cook for several more minutes, or until the flour is lightly browned.
Add the clams, reserved clam juice, and the chicken or vegetable broth.
Simmer until the potatoes are very tender, another 5 minutes. Season to taste with lots of salt and pepper.
Add the half & half, and parsley and serve, topping with the crumbled bacon.