- 2-4 tablespoons Oil, Or butter
- 1 large Onion, Diced, approximately 2 cups
- 4 Russet Potatoes, Diced, medium to large, approximately 6-8 cups
- 1/2 pound Carrot, Diced, about 2-4 small-medium carrots
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch, Or 4 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 pound Gluten Free Ham, Diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dried Parsley
- 4 cups Chicken Stock, Or vegetable stock
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 pound Cheddar Cheese, Grated, divided
- 1 cup Half and Half
Heat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium. Add enough oil or butter just to cover the bottom of the pan.
Add the onion and cook until it starts to turn translucent.
Add the potatoes and carrots and cook until almost tender, stirring occasionally.
Add the cornstarch and stir and cook for 3-5 minutes. (This cooks the starchy, floury taste out.)
Add the ham, salt, parsley, milk, and chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
Let simmer until thickened, about 2-4 minutes
Removed from heat and add 3/4 of the cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
Stir in the half and half, then serve with the remaining cheddar cheese.