Many vegan pesto recipes leave a lot to be desired. It's hard to beat the alternatives loaded with Parmesan and Romano cheese. This comes really close. The yeast flakes provide the pungency of cheese, and the garlic and red onion add layers of umami. If you have also add your own cheese, yogurt or hummus to kick it up a notch. It's good. Enjoy.
- 3 cups fresh basil (~3 ounces)
- 1/4 cup walnuts (substitute pinenuts, almonds or cashews)
- 1/4 cup yeast flakes
- 3 cloves garlic (substitute 1-2 tsp. garlic powder or minced granules)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (optional)
- 1/4 cup red onion (substitute 1-2 tsp. onion powder or minced granules)
- 1-2 Medjool dates (optional, can also use 1 tsp. honey, maple syrup or other sweetener)
- 1/4 cup vegan yogurt, cheese or hummus (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Get the full instructions at Life Off the Label