This is a traditional Cuban dish. As a child, I always found it absolutely hilarious that I was eating what translated to "old clothes." My family traditionally served ropa vieja with plantains (usually maduros) , black beans, and rice, but of course rice and beans are out for me now, so I either eat it plain or over some riced cauliflower.
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast Traditionally calls for flank steak, but I've been using chuck and it comes out great!
- 2 medium bell peppers green and/or red
- 1 small white onion
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar balsamic or apple cider vinegar will work in a pinch
- 1/2 cup water
- 4-8 cloves garlic
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 6 oz tomato paste (small can)
- Cut the peppers and onion into thin slices. Place everything into the slow cooker. I usually put some of the vegetables on the bottom,...
- Get the full instructions at Paleo Primate