This is one of our favorite soups to make when the temperatures start to drop and the snow falls. The tortellini can be omitted if you’re eating low-carb, but adds a fun and colorful element that the kids love. Use a spicy or link sausage to change up the flavor and texture.
- 1 lb. sausage
- 1/2 large yellow onion medium dice
- 2 medium carrots medium dice
- 2 medium celery stalks medium dice
- 1 medium jalapeño small dice
- 8 cloves garlic large, rough chop
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 12 cups chicken stock divided
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 medium russet potatoes sliced to 1/4" rounds
- 2 cups tortellini small, tri-color with cheese stuffing
- 5 cups curly kale chopped (~4 large leaves)
- Brown sausage in a 5-quart pan over medium heat. Once browned, remove the sausage to a paper-toweled plate to let the oil drain. Keep a...
- Get the full instructions at The Cooking Dish