These are dangerously good! You must exert some self-control. Potato pirojki are one thing, but paired with the garlic dip… Oooh baby! $4-5 for 16 Piroshi's. You can also buy these ready made with Spinach, Potato or Feta Cheese custom made from The Royal Market on Geary Street. Sam, the Owner will make a batch of Giant ones for about $1.50 each.
- Ingredients for the Dough:
- 1 ½ Tbsp oil
- 15 oz luke warm water
- 4 cups + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Active Dry Yeast
- ½ Tbsp sugar omit sugar if doing meat or potato filling
- Ingredients for Filling:
- 7 to 8 medium potatoes peeled and cut into ½" thick chunks
- 3 Tbsp butter melted for potatoes
- ½ medium onion
- 1 Tbsp butter for onions
- Ingredients for Garlic Dip – “Vmochanka”:
- cup ¼warm water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- tsp ½salt
- Mix all dip ingredients together;
- Other Ingredients:
- Enough canola oil to go half-way up the side of the piroshky when frying.
- cup Lots of extra flour to dust the cutting board I probably use at least ½extra flour
- Fill a medium pot with sliced potatoes and add water until potatoes are almost covered. Add salt, bring to a boil over high heat, then...
- Get the full instructions at Friday Night Snacks