This delicious Tomato Basil Soup first roasts the tomatoes, adds onions, garlic, basil, thyme and has crushed red pepper to give it a little zip. Great comfort food for fall and winter evenings.
- 4-5 pounds ripe plum tomatoes (cut in half lengthwise)
- 1/4 cup plus 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
- 1 heaping tablespoon chopped garlic from a jar
- dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 canned plum tomatoes, with their juice (stewed or crushed tomatoes can be substituted) (28-ounce)
- 2 tbsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking...
- Get the full instructions at Can't Stay Out of the Kitchen