You can pickle almost any vegetable. I wonder how pickled cucumbers became known as the generic pickle, because many other vegetables make great pickles, including zucchini, beets, green tomatoes, asparagus, okra, and even cauliflower. I suspect that pickled vegetables might have been the snack food of generations past, and with their almost nonexistent calories and zero fat, they still make a great snack food today.
- 2 pounds green beans (cut one inch shorter than the jars you plan to use)
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- 2 1/2 cups vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (crushed)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 4 sprigs fresh dill ((or 1 teaspoon dried))
- Put the water, vinegar, and salt in a pot and boil. Pack the beans into jars,leaving 1/2- inch headspace. They will look more attractive...
- Get the full instructions at The Thrifty Homesteader