Hot Cross Buns are traditionally baked and served on Good Friday. Made with yeast, spiced and sprinkled throughout with dried fruit, the tops of these lightly sweet rolls are painted with white icing to represent the Cross of Christ.
- 1 1/4 oz pkg active dry yeast about 2 and 1/2 teaspoons
- 3/4 cup warm milk 105-110 degrees F.
- 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground spices ex: 1/2 tea. cardamom, 1/2 tea. cinnamon, 1/2 tea. allspice, 1/4 tea. cloves, 1/4 tea. nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons butter softened
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup raisins may substitute golden raisins, currants or dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 6-7 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- In a small bowl, pour 1/4 cup of the warm milk. Stir in 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the milk and sugar...
- Get the full instructions at Sweet and Savory Breads