Suitable for spaghetti, lasagna, ravioli or ???. The baseline amounts are calibrated to produce enough sauce for one lasagna made in a standard 3 quart lasagna pan — It does NOT make 3 quarts of sauce.
- 1 large diced white or yellow onion
- 2 cloves diced garlic — more if you like. I do.
- 1 lb lean coarse ground venison. ( — or lean ground beef if you must.)
- 1/2 lb Hot Italian pork sausage. Hot I say.
- 16 oz canned stewed tomatoes. ( — Optionally substitute half with diced and/or crushed tomatoes)
- 6 oz tomato paste ( — small can is 6oz)
- 2 diced fresh ripe tomatoes. (— seeded)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp dried basil ( — better is to triple amount using fresh minced)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano ( " ")
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme ( " ")
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary ( " ")
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds — Crush them a bit.
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt — back off on that if you like but definitely don't go higher
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 3/4 cup Cabernet — or other full bodied dry red wine
- 1 oz brandy
- 1 lump glace de viande (red meat glaze) (— optional. preferably venison)
- to taste Hot pepper powder or flakes
- Mix meats together, form into large thin patties and brown well in hot skillet. Chop patties into small chunks and set aside. If there is...
- Get the full instructions at Killer Noms Wild Game Recipes and Techniques