Learn how to use mild Italian sausage and how to make your own at home!
Here in the States, Italian sausage is a pork sausage packed with flavor.
Ingredients that you often find in Italian sausage include herbs like oregano, thyme and fennel seeds. Mild Italian sausage, also referred to as sweet Italian sausage, isn’t spicy, whereas hot Italian sausage contains red pepper flakes to spice it up.
Homemade mild Italian sausage
Believe it or not, it is actually very easy to make mild Italian sausage at home.
The great thing with making sausage yourself is that you can add only the herbs and spices you really enjoy, and in the quantities you want.
You could even substitute ground pork for chicken or turkey if you prefer.
You will only need about 20 minutes to make this recipe, at the end of which you will have three 1-pound portions ready to be cooked and enjoyed.
3 pounds ground pork
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 1/4 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons paprika
3/4 teaspoons ground fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoons brown sugar
1/8 teaspoons dried oregano
1/8 teaspoons dried thyme
1. In a mixing bowl add all of the ingredients and knead the spices into the meat.
2. Divide into three and roll into logs, wrapping each in plastic wrap.
3. Refrigerate overnight before use.
You can freeze the sausage if you are making large batches. To do so, ensure the logs are tightly wrapped and place them into an airtight container. You can freeze them like this for up to three months. Whilst you can keep them longer, they will begin to lose their flavor, so we recommend using them within this time period.
Recipes with mild Italian sausage
There are so many great ways you can use your homemade mild Italian sausage, so why not try some of our favorite recipes below:
Homemade Italian sausage gravy
Why not try your hand at this mouthwatering Italian sausage gravy? It is perfect to pour over biscuits and a great way to use your homemade sausages!
1/2 pound mild Italian sausage
1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
Biscuits to serve alongside
1. Over medium heat, cook the sausage in a skillet until cooked through - about 10 minutes.
2. Sprinkle the flour over and cook for a minute. Add the milk and allow the mixture to come to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the gravy until it has thickened - about 5 minutes. Season with cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
3. Pour gravy over the biscuits or transfer it to a gravy boat. We also wouldn’t be surprised if you just wanted to eat it with a spoon, it’s that good.
Cyd is a native of Upstate New York, born to a family of women who love to cook and host parties. She shares her love of all things food, home and entertaining on her blog, The Sweetest Occasion and on Instagram.Tags: Sausage, Gravy, Pork, Ground Pork, Meat, Easy Dinners, Dinners