Need to know how to cook pork steak? Here we share three different methods you can use, for tasty results every time!
We love pork steaks - they're economical and versatile enough to be combined with lots of different ingredients and cooked in several different ways.
Pork steaks are sometimes referred to as 'blade steaks', because they are sliced from a roast cut. They cook quickly which is generally a good thing - but it does mean that you need to take care with your timing, as overcooked pork steak can be very dry and unappetizing.
Here are some simple methods for cooking pork steak. Once you've found the method you prefer, you can adapt the basic recipe to include your favorite herbs, spices and sauces.
How to cook pork steak in the skillet
Heat a little oil in a skillet and add the steak.
Cook for 8 to 10 minutes on one side (depending on its thickness), then turn and cook on the other side until it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
Another popular technique that's currently doing the rounds is the 6-2-2 method.
This basically involves:
- Cooking your pork steak in a hot pan for 6 minutes
- Turning the steak and cooking it for another 2 minutes
- Removing the pork from the heat and letting it rest for 2 minutes
This method can work well for thinner steaks (under 3/4 inch thick) but may leave thicker steaks slightly underdone in the middle. Whilst some chefs now prefer to see a little pink in their pork, most of us feel better knowing that it's cooked right through! So if your pork steak is any thicker than 3/4 inch, we suggest that you pound it out nice and thin before cooking.
How to cook pork steak in the oven
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush your pork steaks with olive oil on both sides, then season with salt, pepper and any herbs or spices of your choice.
- Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking oil, then place the pork steaks on it and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn the steaks and put back into the oven.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes, then check the steaks for 'doneness' - the internal temperature should reach 145 degrees F. Depending on the thickness of the steaks, they should be ready after cooking for 20-30 minutes in the oven.
How to cook pork steak in the slow cooker
- Place your pork steaks in the bottom of your slow cooker and cover them with a layer of very thinly sliced onion.
- Pour barbecue sauce over the pork and onion until well covered.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, until the steaks are perfectly tender.