How to Make Cheese on ToastAmber Bracegirdle | Bluebonnet Baker
Want to know how to make cheese on toast? Here are our tips for creating this perfectly satisfying snack!
Cheese and toast are a match made in heaven - there's something so irresistible about the combination of warm melted cheese and crunchy toast that puts it up there with our list of all-time favorite meals!
Better still, cheese on toast is very quick and easy to make - and there are a couple of different methods you can try.
Method 1 - How to make cheese on toast in the oven
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter a slice of bread and place it on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 2 to 3 minutes, until the butter has melted.
- Cover the bread with grated cheese and return to the oven. Cook until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
Method 2 - How to make cheese on toast using the broiler
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place the slice of bread on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler until golden.
- Turn the bread over and top with grated cheese.
- Return to the broiler and cook until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
Tips for making the ultimate cheese on toast
- Choose a nice, rustic loaf or a seeded bread for the very best crunch and flavor.
- Pick a cheese that melts well and has lots of flavor. A nice, sharp cheddar is ideal.
- Use grated cheese instead of sliced - it tends to melt more quickly and evenly.
- Try to resist the urge to use those convenient little slices of processed cheese. They never seem to melt properly and often end up blackened instead of golden!
- Shake a good dash of Worcestershire sauce over the cheese before melting. It adds an incredible pop of flavour.
- Try mixing chopped scallions with the grated cheese to create cheese 'n onion on toast. Yum!
- Mix the butter with minced garlic before spreading, for a delicious cheesy garlic bread.
- Make cheese on toast into more of a meal by adding a couple of slices of cooked meat before the grated cheese. Ham is traditional, but chorizo tastes amazing!
What's the difference between cheese on toast and a grilled cheese sandwich?
Whilst both dishes are a comforting mix of gooey cheese and crunchy toast, a grilled cheese sandwich is made up of melted cheese sandwiched between 2 slices of toast (unlike cheese on toast, which is more like an 'open' sandwich).
Why not try our Toaster Oven Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe? It's ready in minutes and gives perfect results!
How to make healthier cheese on toast
If you're feeling guilty about indulging in your favorite gooey treat, here are a few ways to make it a little healthier!
- Use whole grain bread instead of white.
- Pick a stronger tasting cheese - that way, you won't need to use as much.
- Combine the cheese with other ingredients (such as those suggested above). Again, you'll need less cheese, but still have loads of flavor.
- Skip the butter, or replace it with a low-fat alternative (reduced fat mayo works well!).
Now you know how to make perfect cheese on toast, why not try an exotic variation with our Welsh Rarebit recipe?