Learn how to cook shrimp! It’s quick and easy, and one of the best ways to get protein on the table!
If you love shrimp, you’ll be happy to know it’s easy to make at home. It’s cheaper too.
And, did you know shrimp cooks quickly? You’ll only need to cook it for 3 to 7 minutes, depending on its size and the cooking method you choose.
But, first things first.
What Kind of Shrimp to Buy
You’re going to start with raw shrimp. If you have access to fresh shrimp, great.
Otherwise, it’s perfectly fine to purchase frozen, raw shrimp. Choose the peeled and deveined ones for convenience.
Shrimp is sold by its size. The bag will state approximately how many shrimp per pound are included in each package.
For instance, 26/30 means 26-to-30 shrimp per pound, which is a decent size. A bag of 16/20 will contain jumbo shrimp.
If you want small shrimp, go for 51/60.
How to Cook Shrimp in the Oven
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray a half-sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the shrimp in a single layer on the sheet pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil and add seasonings such as salt, pepper and garlic powder. Toss with your hands to coat the shrimp.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until shrimp is pink and opaque.
How to Boil Shrimp
- If starting with frozen shrimp, thaw them by placing the shrimp in the refrigerator overnight or by running cold water over them in a colander.
- Fill a pot 2/3 full with hot water and any desired seasonings, and place it on the stove over high heat, covered.
- Check your shrimp for dark veins (even if you bought deveined shrimp) and remove them with a shrimp tool or tweezers. Rinse your shrimp.
- When your pot is boiling, gently add your shrimp.
- Boil the shrimp until they’re pink and opaque. For small shrimp, this will take 2-3 minutes. For larger shrimp, you’ll need 5-7 minutes.
- Drain your shrimp and immediately place them in a bowl of ice water to cool for a couple minutes before serving or using in a recipe.
- Store boiled shrimp in the coolest part of your refrigerator for up to four days.
How to Cook Shrimp on the Stove
- Heat butter or olive oil in large skillet over high heat.
- Add shrimp in a single layer. Season with garlic powder and paprika.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze lemon or lime juice on the shrimp and serve.
How to Grill Shrimp
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium heat.
- Thread 6 shrimp on each skewer and set on a plate.
- Sprinkle salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, lemon juice and olive oil evenly on both sides of the shrimp.
- Once the grill is hot, grill the shrimp on each side for 3 minutes.
Now you know how to cook shrimp! Enjoy.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!